"THE AWAKENING" - A photo essay.

Irishwhistler

"THE AWAKENING" - A photo essay.

Post by Irishwhistler » Sat May 05, 2018 1:21 am

Me new gun dog prospect "MAC" is now a crusty 10 week old and has been a real joy to watch o'er the last two weeks he has lived with us. The wee lad is a hooligan, fearless, handsome, and highly social with a dash o' mischievousness thrown in the mix. MAC was the lightest yellow pup of four in a beautiful litter of nine resulting from the selective breeding of me gun dog sire and most loyal companion HR UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH and LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN STARRY NIGHT.

SO given that MAC isn't getting any younger, nor is the OL' DOG WHISTLER, I decided t'was high time to "unleash the beast". What beast ye may ask? "THE BIRD MOSTER" !!! Indeed, one needs to determine if "THE BIRD MONSTER" is within any gun dog prospect and it is likely a smart trainer that determines such matters early on so as not to waste a whole lot o' time on a trainee with less than grand potential.
DSC04904Resized_Fotor Warming Up.jpg
All smart athletes are wise to warm up before the game. As Head Coach for recruit "MAC", I got the lad's heart pumping, muscles warmed, and his spirit dancing with a few throws o' the paint roller that I used to get his wee retriever swag in motion. Now mind ye, I'm not saying there was or was not an Irish Gaelic incantation or two before sending the lad on his way, but I'll leave yeself to imagine what ye may. Let's just say the OL' DOG WHISTLER has his own slant on bringing out THE BIRD MONSTER in a pup.
DSC04869Resized_Fotor The Bird Pinned.jpg
A frenzied spell cast on wee MAC, I tossed a clipped wing pigeon onto the short grass so the lad could see it flapping about madly. This would be the first o' many "live flyer's" that MAC will see in his career as both a gun dog and as a hunt test K9 athlete. MAC demonstrated the same bird drive that his sire TRAD showed at any early age. Racing to the bird with his yellow check cord in tow, MAC pinned the short mark of about twenty yards and proceeded to figure out how to turn the bird and fit it into his puppy sized mouth to be carried on return.

DSC04874Resized_Fotor First Bird Retrieved.jpg
A beautiful little Labrador Retriever gun dog in the making, here ye share in me joy at seeing MAC'S first bird retrieved. Now t'is surely not as epic as a winged Honker that sailed 300 yards downwind before crumpling and hitting the ground, but mind ye, t'was every bit a beautiful in seeing this pups attitude towards birds come to life during this morning's session.

(Continued in successive thread).

Faugh A Ballagh,
THE DOG WHISTLER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Irishwhistler

Re: "THE AWAKENING" - Part II A photo essay.

Post by Irishwhistler » Sat May 05, 2018 1:31 am

DSC04886Resized_Fotor Bird Drive Awakened.jpg
With each successive retrieve made by wee MAC today, ye could just see the pup swell with pride as I bestowed heaps o' verbal praise on the lad whilst I let him possess the bird like a trophy won. MAC will have plenty o' time to work on presentation to hand and the like, well after we impart HOLD and FORCE FETCH conditioning down the road a bit. Today was all about instilling that special connection betwixt a dog and birds. Connection made ! ! !

DSC04895Resized_Fotor The White Shadow.jpg
Motivating a young pup is quite often the result of making training interesting, fun, and setting up the trainee pup for success by using well strategized and executed set ups to ensure that the pup succeeds rather than fails. The session with MAC and birds was ended on a most positive note today. After MAC had what I determined to be ample wafts of bird scent up his little Labrador snout, I let him run about with his sire TRAD, the two now bonding nicely since MAC'S arrival on scene. MAC loves to be with and play with TRAD. As I watched the nearly white pup MAC chasing about the cover with TRAD, I thought him to be like a white canvas waiting to be painted into the masterpiece that is a finished retriever. A few fine strokes o' the brush were made today, many, many more to be applied in making what will certainly be a work of art painted from the soul.

Faugh a Ballagh,
THE DOG WHISTLER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gspbrit

Re: "THE AWAKENING" - A photo essay.

Post by gspbrit » Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Truly a work of art. Congratulations.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 am

Great pics of pup having a great time. Well done Sir!

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Wed May 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks kindly Mates.

Mike