leg cocking age ?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

leg cocking age ?

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 am

I've been watching my daughters almost 5 months old GSP pup. He has started to cock his leg. I cannot remember seeing any previous pup I've worked with begin to cock a leg at such an early age ....is this fairly common ?

Bill T.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: leg cocking age ?

Post by shags » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 am

5-6 months seems about normal around here.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I've been watching my daughters almost 5 months old GSP pup. He has started to cock his leg. I cannot remember seeing any previous pup I've worked with begin to cock a leg at such an early age ....is this fairly common ?

Bill T.
I never seen one do it that young either. I have a two year old and a one year old and they don't......................Cj

MGIII

leg cocking age ?

Post by MGIII » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I have a 1 year old that doesn’t do it yet. But I’ve recently been wondering when it starts.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Gender identity issues? :lol: My female terrier has cocked her leg from about a year old, and marks like the boys.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

shags wrote:Gender identity issues? :lol: My female terrier has cocked her leg from about a year old, and marks like the boys.
But does she use the guys bush? :D

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I've been watching my daughters almost 5 months old GSP pup. He has started to cock his leg. I cannot remember seeing any previous pup I've worked with begin to cock a leg at such an early age ....is this fairly common ?

Bill T.
(ime) No with kennel dogs ,or dogs who live in house with others . Yes with single dogs in a house . No with single dogs in a kennel....Not scientific , but then GSP'S Piss anywhere given the chance :lol:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

fishvik wrote:
shags wrote:Gender identity issues? :lol: My female terrier has cocked her leg from about a year old, and marks like the boys.
But does she use the guys bush? :D
Yep, she marks right over their marks. If she goes, then a boy marks over it, she marks over that. She can't pee on a wall yet though :P

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 pm

cjhills wrote:

Bill T.
I never seen one do it that young either. I have a two year old and a one year old and they don't......................Cj
Because they are girls - or they were neutered young?

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am

My 5 month old pointer pup started lifting his leg at 4 months old. It is younger than normal from my experience. He's kenneled with 5 other dogs (not same run). I've seen a 7 week old pup do it but only a few times and then he went to his new home, so I don't know if he kept it up.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 am

slistoe wrote:
cjhills wrote:

Bill T.
Because they are girls - or they were neutered young?
Do you think!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure they are not girls, but I might not remember how to tell the difference. I know they are not neutered cause they still have their jewels. Plus neutering does not stop leg lifting.
Cj

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:15 am

My new dog is 5 months old and doesn't yet. I'm actually hoping he picks it up soon because, as of about a month ago, he developed the pressure to hit his front feet :roll:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 am

Cocking it's leg. Had no idea what you were talking about! Then it dawned on me! I've never really noticed when that start's. Say that different, never took notice of when it start's other than to realize it did.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:23 am

DonF wrote:Cocking it's leg. Had no idea what you were talking about! Then it dawned on me!
:lol: :lol: Yup, from that I deduce that over the pond you'd only say, "lifting a leg ?" In Britain we say either of those two things and everyone knows what is meant. It never occurred to me that a slight language difference would make my post difficult to understand over there.

A year or so after I first joined this forum I posted in that I'd ,"given a bird a bonk." This met with disapproval from a few folk on here until someone translated my innocent utterance into "American." I'd meant I'd hit a wounded pheasant over the head with a blunt instrument .....but that was not what was understood on your side of the pond ! :lol: :lol:

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Trekmoor wrote: It never occurred to me that a slight language difference would make my post difficult to understand over there

Bill T.
With Years of dialogue and hundreds of conversations ,I'm pretty darn sure that slight ,is well interpreted .