Shipping Adult GSP on a plane in cargo?

Billinsd

Shipping Adult GSP on a plane in cargo?

Post by Billinsd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:26 pm

My GSP is 2 years old and is 24 inches at shoulders and weighs about 55 lbs. I got a large 36" length by 25" width by 27" tall Petmate kennel, which seems very big and roomy for my dog. However, the Airlines talk about the top of the dog's head not touching the top of the kennel? If that means my dog's head cannot touch the top of the kennel while standing up and holding his head up that means I would need a kennel that is at least 40" tall or maybe 42" tall. This is totally ridiculous to me, however, I don't want to get turned back, because my kennel is too small. Do I really need a 40" long by 30" tall Extra Large Kennel for my dog?

I'm going to drive to the Airline Cargo area with my kennel and my dog.

What all have your experiences been?
Thanks
Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Shipping Adult GSP on a plane in cargo?

Post by shags » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm

I've shipped and picked up dogs for a local trainer many times, and IME it just depends on who is on duty in cargo. some terminals are more reasonable than others.

I picked up a Gordon Setter one time, and all was good with her crate size. A few months later, I took her in that same crate to ship her back home. The same people who were there for PU were there for shipping, and would not allow the dog to go in her crate. They insisted that she go in one a couple sizes up, which was ridiculously large in my opinion. In the bigger crate, the dog could stand and had inches above her head. They interpreted 'stand' to mean the dog stands with its head up in an alert position, no scrunching.

Other times there have been no problems with what most would consider a correctly sized crate such as the one you have for your dog.

There is no point in arguing with the cargo people :| What they say, goes.

I found it was a lot less hassle to either bring funds to purchase a larger crate if they demanded it, or to bring an unassembled larger crate along in the truck, just in case.

This kind of idiocy makes me more understanding of the fake service dog scammer passengers.

Good luck.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks, I found another post where you said the same thing. I want to use American Airlines and the large kennel I have now is the largest one they will accept. Yes, if the cargo people figure dog's head needs to be upright, then I will need at least another size bigger. Yes, shear idiosity!!!

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Shags, did you use the same airline and if so, which one was it? Thanks Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 pm

PM sent

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 am

Are you sending the dog somewhere or taking him with you? If sending the dog somewhere, I would seriously consider engaging one of the dog haulers.

I've checked my dog under the plane flying on American before. They were definitely a bit caught off guard presented with the dog, flying out of RDU, but they didn't seem to make a big deal about the Kennel size. That said, at that point my dog was 4.5 months old, so not quite so big. Image

The thing is, what was easy, although they were unaware of what to do at my originating location, was hard on the return. A baggage agent basically going over my paperwork with a finetooth comb and questioning it.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 am

If you are flying your dog with you, that is good. If you are sending your dog to someone, I would never do that during the hot summer. The airlines have had problems with loading, unloading pets in the summer where they get left out in the heat at the airports to long. This is especially risky if the dog has to change planes to make a connection.

Just a comment, you probably are already aware, but this is just in case...