Evacuated

isonychia

Evacuated

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:23 am

We got evacuated due to a wildfire a few days ago. Thought for sure we would loose or place but so far it has made it. The fire got within a quarter mile and was crowning when the back burn beat it. Has been a tough and interesting few days with three dogs in a tiny camper and evacuated pigeons/honey bees. Can't wait to get home and get my birds back in their nest boxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reba

Re: Evacuated

Post by reba » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 am

God Bless you.

I was through it back in 1994.

Predications are not good for this year.

This time I am more than prepared.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Sorry to hear your place is in danger. I hope your good luck with avoiding disaster continues.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 am

Glad you're alright. We've already had several small fires here in northern California. Fire season seems to start earlier and earlier every year. Fingers crossed for everyone...

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:46 am

I'm glad you got through it okay. As a guy who spent most of his natural resource career involved with wildlife either as a primary firefighter or a overhead team member, I learned a lot about what measures generally add to protecting structures in the interface of a wildfire. Clearing land of brush, trees and downed material around structures (out to about 200'); planting fire resistant vegetation (local extension offices or state and federal land management agencies have lists of what is appropriate for your area); roof materials of non combustible materials ( wood shake roof's are a real problem) and cleaning roof and area around structures of leaves and pine needles. Another thing to consider for your and firefighter safety is having at least two means of ingress and regress to your house and out buildings. Again glad to here you made it through okay.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:34 am

fishvik wrote:I'm glad you got through it okay. As a guy who spent most of his natural resource career involved with wildlife either as a primary firefighter or a overhead team member, I learned a lot about what measures generally add to protecting structures in the interface of a wildfire. Clearing land of brush, trees and downed material around structures (out to about 200'); planting fire resistant vegetation (local extension offices or state and federal land management agencies have lists of what is appropriate for your area); roof materials of non combustible materials ( wood shake roof's are a real problem) and cleaning roof and area around structures of leaves and pine needles. Another thing to consider for your and firefighter safety is having at least two means of ingress and regress to your house and out buildings. Again glad to here you made it through okay.
I don't have a bunch of brush around near any building. Got a lot of grass that I don't water, city would go nut's if I did! But I keep all the grass around the house green, it don't burn so good. the fields around out building's and the barn are kept mowed short, I could put a fire out there by spitting on it, short dry grass doesn't get very hot.@hen I got the place, 29yrs ago, there was a lot of sage brush around the bard and a huge field of it behind the shot. It's all gone now. Everything here is cut
and kept green to be able to stop a fire. Few years ago they were going to evacuate the town for a fire. I was not going to go. I can fight it here really easy,

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Sounds like you've done your homework Don. Good job. :D

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 am

The main thing is you and your dogs are alright. Hoping things get back to normal expeditiously!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 am

+1

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

Had this fire last fall. I heard it took out about 10,000 acre's. Picture taken from my barn.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 am

OMG!!! Funny, the things we take for granted.
Thank you so much for sharing.
God bless you and yours - especially those less fortunate!

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:07 am

Man what a trip. Ready to go home but now there are flash floods. Maybe Monday. Almost lost the place twice but those firefighters are miracle workers. More than 30,000 acres so far. Lost one pigeon who was in with her weaning babies so I have been hand feeding those. Named them Burny and Wildfire. Good news is that our newest pup is making progress on thr collar. Which helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 am

Iso, What are the species of trees burning and is it mostly bug kill? Has there been any thinning or logging previous to the burn?

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 pm

In that photo mostly juniper, pinon pine, douglas fir, englemens spruce, and ponderosa. Other fire locations had mostly aspen. No beetle kill down here yet but certainly on its way.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Glad you're safe.