Name for a new puppy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Name for a new puppy

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:08 am

Pretty sure I'm getting a new Red Setter pup next spring, maybe sooner. Been thinking about name's and finally think I've got one. Be a female and thinking of calling her Molly McGee! When I was married I never had to think about these thing's, the wife always gave the pup's names. We'd have a litter and every one would have a name by 6 weeks. Now I really need her and she's no where to be found!

Yea, I think I like Molly McGee. Sounds Irish to me. Tried to think how to get Celtic or Gaelic in there, drew a blank! wait, how about Gaelic Molly McGee?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Name for a new puppy

Post by shags » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I like Molly McGee, but throwing the "Gaelic" in there seems kind of redundant. As if Molly McGee isn't Irish enough? :lol: Kinda like Gaelic St. Patrick.

Maili is Gaelic for Molly if that helps. Although not many people know how to pronounce Gaelic names, so people might read it as Mail-y.

There is a breeder who uses Celtic's as a kennel name, so you may need to be careful with that.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm

What! A new pup!
Is it coming from Craig or somewhere new.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

greg jacobs wrote:What! A new pup!
No not Craig. Don't think he has pups. Trying to find out if that kennel in Ferndale is where he got his. Gonna have to call him. Tried e-mailing the kennel but e-mail doesn't work.

Maili is Gaelic for Molly? That would work well and I'd still call her Molly!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 am

shags wrote:I like Molly McGee, but throwing the "Gaelic" in there seems kind of redundant. As if Molly McGee isn't Irish enough? :lol: Kinda like Gaelic St. Patrick.

Maili is Gaelic for Molly if that helps. Although not many people know how to pronounce Gaelic names, so people might read it as Mail-y.

There is a breeder who uses Celtic's as a kennel name, so you may need to be careful with that.
Maili. Like that and would pronounce it the wrong way! Do you know how to pronounce it? Guess it doesn't matter a lot. Used to trial with a guy that named his dog Jaeger and that was the way he pronounced it! In Germany they pronounce it Yeager. Means hunter. I better find out hoe to pronounce Maili!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 am

DonF wrote:
shags wrote:I like Molly McGee, but throwing the "Gaelic" in there seems kind of redundant. As if Molly McGee isn't Irish enough? :lol: Kinda like Gaelic St. Patrick.

Maili. Like that and would pronounce it the wrong way! Do you know how to pronounce it? Guess it doesn't matter a lot. Used to trial with a guy that named his dog Jaeger and that was the way he pronounced it! In Germany they pronounce it Yeager. Means hunter. I better find out hoe to pronounce Maili!
That didn't take to long. Gaelic form is Maili or Maille! Looks likt the second is easier to pronounce wrong! :-) Think I'll use it! It also show's Mailsi? Don't know about that, mever be able to pronounce it! Maille and Maili are form's of mary.

Just found this:
Personality of the Girl Name Molly
The number Five personality loves the excitement of life and can easily adapt to all situations. As natural adventurers, these personalities thrive on the new and unexpected and prefer to be in constant motion. It makes them feel alive. They'll stir up some action if there's not enough around, and as inherent risk-takers they enjoy pushing the envelope. Naturally rebellious, the Five personality has no fear and never resists change. Traveling and new experiences feed their souls. Fives are very social and attract friends with ease. People love to be around the Five fun-loving and exciting energy. This is also a lucky number in numerology (like the Threes), so fortune seems to shine on them, helped along by their own optimism and good-nature. Fives have a quick wit, a cerebral mind, and are generally very persuasive.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 am

Wow, Don! If your pup lives up to that name personality profile, you'll have a grand time with her ( if you can keep up :lol: )

Good luck with finding your new girl.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm

DonF wrote:
greg jacobs wrote:What! A new pup!
No not Craig. Don't think he has pups. Trying to find out if that kennel in Ferndale is where he got his. Gonna have to call him. Tried e-mailing the kennel but e-mail doesn't work.

Maili is Gaelic for Molly? That would work well and I'd still call her Molly!
I'm sure he would love to talk to you. I know one of his son pretty well. If all else fails I'm sure I could find out

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Don,
Got ahold of Craig's son. He said Craig got his first dog from St cloud minnesota
https://www.ironfiresetters.net.
Craig said he would probably go with comeback kennel in South Carolina.
http://comebackredsetters.nrsftc.com
They bred bearcat

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

greg jacobs wrote:Don,
Got ahold of Craig's son. He said Craig got his first dog from St cloud minnesota
https://www.ironfiresettersTalked to .net.
They bred bearcat
Huh, I'd heard it came from around Ferndale, Wash. Guy up there used to breed. Talked to him yesterday and he's thinking about maybe another breeding next spring. Guy in Ferndale mentioned hs usually have some white n them, not wanting that.

Talked to Rger Berg, Iron Fire the other day too, have to get back with him about Jan. He's got some really good looking dog's. That would work out really well for me as I'd go on from there to visit some family in Michigan I haven't seen in quite a while.

Tried to get a hold of Craig yesterday but didn't get an answer. Gonna try him again probably today! I heard from a Red Setter guy in Idaho that the cycle tail come's from the Bearcat breeding. Don't know and straighten Stormy's tail some and he'd be a killer! I don't care for the straight up tail that so popular. I like a tail that come's out at about 10 o:clock or so and curves up to 12 o:clock. That straight up tail looks like a stick to me. And, I like small women with gentle curves, about the same with a dog. I think my Bodie had a perfect tail set. Put this tail on my Stormy and he'd really be a killer! Not that he isn't without it! :-)

Of course I kept Bodie groomed a couple times a year. He'd really get hairy and his tail and legs got to looking scrubby. I did the legs at about 1 1/2" and beveled the tail from about 3" from the butt clean then from there about 2" to nothing at the tip. The Red tail hair seem's a bit different, coarser and doesn't seem to groom as nice. But then the hair is harder too, could be a lot of difference there. Another nice thing about Stormy is he simply doesn't need much grooming. Trim his back legs a bit and his chest and he's good to go.

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:27 am

Devlin's Irish red and white setters kennel in Duluth,Mn has a litter due shortly. Very very good hunting dogs. Stock is direct from Ireland. Red setters are derived from the IRWS.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am

greg jacobs wrote:Don,
https://www.ironfiresetters.net.
They bred bearcat
Right now it looks like Ironfire is the go to.Only one I've had much luck contacting and he's probably getting tired of hearing from me!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 pm

I think you're hooked on them red dogs.
If you went back to shorthairs or setters you would have hundreds of litters to pick from. Lol