thought some of you might enjoy this

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

thought some of you might enjoy this

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 am

I enjoyed watching this little film. It is from the 2017 Springer Spaniel Championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tD9w6jyqOc

Bill T.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: thought some of you might enjoy this

Post by cjhills » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 am

Very Nice. Thanks...……………..Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

I did enjoy it. Thank you for posting.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:10 am

Bill -

That was VERY interesting. That dog is a machine... full of energy, but still responsive. VERY nice.

I have to say that those gunners were pretty special too. That was some tough going and not the easiest shooting. They seemed to be always right where they needed to be, and in that cover, that was a challenge.

Thank you for sharing.

RayG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:29 am

I think the dog was 4th in the trial. I liked his drive through cover and thought his steadiness was excellent considering the cover he was working in did not allow the dog to see much of the handler. He was a good retriever too among such thick cover.

One of my friends used the dog on his bitch and the pups arrived a couple of days ago. I have personal knowledge of the bitch because I had her here for a couple of months when she was a pup. She was and is a little cracker ! Wish I could have one of her pups but it would be wasted on me now …. I can hardly walk 50 yards sometimes ! :roll:

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:43 am

Kudos to the handler and dog attaining a place in the Championship and a creditable 4th place.
It pained me watching the delivery of retrieved game, whether its a ruling or not in a competition (its not my place) . The handler done well with a low rugby catch on one retrieve to save a bye to the next round .
A few occasions there was a refusal on stop whistle and a few wrong direction on cast direction . But hey ...we can all just sit back and watch :wink:
John Dixon (A panel Judge) knows his stuff , and gave both Handler and Dog every opportunity to win , right up until it failed to find ! ... Handling let it down .(imo) .
Nice dog . Whats it like in more open cover Wullie ?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:20 pm

I have no idea what the dog hunts like on more open ground . I think it would be a fast, hard going sort of dog that was perhaps inclined to pull out on the handler with no real cover present to keep it "in." That's what turn whistles are for though ! :lol:

I thought the dogs deliveries of game could stand some improvement but thought it's handling abilities during retrieves was pretty good considering the dog often could not see the handler or the fall of the bird and the handler often could not see the dog among all that cover. As you know, even if a dog wants to take straight lines when being handled , thick cover will cause a dog to deviate perhaps several times as it runs out or to the side.

I felt it was the dogs failure on it's last retrieve that dropped it down to 4th place and a "failure" can happen to anyone from time to time especially in those conditions. I was knocked out of trials twice on my dogs very last retrieves of the day. :x It's infuriating but that's trialing, there is an element of luck involved.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I have no idea what the dog hunts like on more open ground . I think it would be a fast, hard going sort of dog that was perhaps inclined to pull out on the handler with no real cover present to keep it "in." That's what turn whistles are for though ! :lol:

I thought the dogs deliveries of game could stand some improvement but thought it's handling abilities during retrieves was pretty good considering the dog often could not see the handler or the fall of the bird and the handler often could not see the dog among all that cover. As you know, even if a dog wants to take straight lines when being handled , thick cover will cause a dog to deviate perhaps several times as it runs out or to the side.

I felt it was the dogs failure on it's last retrieve that dropped it down to 4th place and a "failure" can happen to anyone from time to time especially in those conditions. I was knocked out of trials twice on my dogs very last retrieves of the day. :x It's infuriating but that's trialing, there is an element of luck involved.

Bill T.
Trekmoor wrote: One of my friends used the dog on his bitch and the pups arrived a couple of days ago. I have personal knowledge of the bitch because I had her here for a couple of months when she was a pup. She was and is a little cracker !
Bill T.
It sure Is .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:42 pm

That was very enjoyable. I know little about spaniel trials but the posts written were very educationable- is that a word? Thanks guys.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 am

Sharon, I have never competed in a spaniel trial only in spaniel tests which are far easier than trials …. even I managed to win a few spaniel tests ! :lol: In tests things happen in a pre-arranged way and, as far as possible, all the dogs get the same retrieves (bumpers are normally used) to do. In trials the game goes where it wants to and flushes where it wants to and if shot it can fall anywhere so, in our trials every retrieve is different and will pose it's own problems. This is why there is no K.C. recognition whatsoever given to Test winners in Britain. If you want to see red letters on your dog's pedigree you have to earn them the hard way , in trials and on wild game.

I just heard that one of my friend's pups has been sold to someone in America. Hope it does well there , the dam is a good 'un and so is the sire so all should be well.

Bill T.