Preparing pup to go to trainer

PoorMansWrangler

Preparing pup to go to trainer

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Hello all,
I have a 9 month old GSP who will be heading to the trainer in October to be introduced to birds, and gun broke. I was hoping to get some opinions on what I can do to further his training up until that point. Currently, he heels well, recalls without the collar on, retrieves very well, and is woah broke to a certain extent (could use more work). She mentioned teaching the “hup” turn command, but other than that I would like your input on other ideas to make sure he hits the ground running. He naturally points, but the only birds he has been introduced to was a very large turkey we flushed unexpectedly while on a walk haha. Also, I thought it may be helpful to mention he is a inside dog, and this will be the first time he will be away from home, and sleeping in a outside kennel. Thank you!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Preparing pup to go to trainer

Post by shags » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Sounds like you have a pretty good foundation. I wouldn't worry about doing more, that's what you pay a pro for.

The transition might be easier physically if you change over to what the trainer feeds a good while before drop off day, unless they agree to feed what you bring. Sometimes at the kennel the changeover in food goes kind of too fast and the dog's system is upset for a few days.

I take my dogs to the kennel with trimmed nails and clean teeth and nice hairdos.

Don't expect too much too soon as some dogs take a week or more to acclimate enough to get any real work done.

I've given up expectations of trainers calling me with updates. It works better for me to call at 'approved' times, like lunch time or evening, whenever the trainer says is generally ok. Sometimes I nag for pics or video, but those don't happen often with my guys.

Get ready to be lonesome for your dog. Although being temporarily dogless has its perks like no dog hair in the butter, and being able to go fishing all day not having to think about feeding and letting the dog out :)

Good luck and best wishes for great results.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 am

Don't do anything else. When I trained I wanted a pup back at 1 yrs and the only think I wanted the pup to know was to come right now when called. Owner's that use trainer's mean well but have a habit of instilling some problem's for the trainer to fix!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:03 am

In October I wouldn’t send a dog to a trainer, it’s hunting season across the US and you will be able to get the Dog on birds more, run the dog longer, excercise yourself and build on it for the following four months... just sayin. Take a vacation and use the money for gas.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Well in Ohio, bird season does not open until Nov.2nd, so when he goes in October he will be back right at the beginning

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Sounds like you are on top of it.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 am

PoorMansWrangler wrote:Hello all,
I have a 9 month old GSP who will be heading to the trainer in October to be introduced to birds, and gun broke. I was hoping to get some opinions on what I can do to further his training up until that point. Currently, he heels well, recalls without the collar on, retrieves very well, and is woah broke to a certain extent (could use more work). She mentioned teaching the “hup” turn command, but other than that I would like your input on other ideas to make sure he hits the ground running. He naturally points, but the only birds he has been introduced to was a very large turkey we flushed unexpectedly while on a walk haha. Also, I thought it may be helpful to mention he is a inside dog, and this will be the first time he will be away from home, and sleeping in a outside kennel. Thank you!
Dogs don't care where they sleep, really. I mean, if you make your house dog sleep in the Garage all of a sudden he might throw a fit, but if he's sleeping in a room with 15 other dogs, they usually chill right out.

The only thing I will say is that you want to have a very frank and open line of communication with the trainer, as to what you expect of the time in training, and what she can deliver to you with that.

I interviewed a one that said, "we'll get him running after and picking up birds, teach him to jump in the truck bed..." And I was thinking, dude, that doesn't take work. The dog of course wants to run out and pickup birds. I taught him to hop in a truck bed by throwing half a hotdog in there.

Another rubbed me the wrong way saying he'd "have to undo what you've already done," when I hadn't done anything more than recall, sit, lay down, "whoa."