Not a good idea

fishvik

Not a good idea

Post by fishvik » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am

First let me say that I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment. But there are some things that defy any level of reason. What would make you think that shooting exploding targets on western range land in the middle of the summer, particularly this summer, is a good idea. We have had no less than four large wildland fires started by wingnuts shooting these targets in Idaho this summer. Three have been in the area northeast of Idaho Falls and a particularly scary one is now threatening homes in the Sun Valley area. As a guy who spent 35 seasons working wildfires I can't believe anybody can not see the consequences of shooting a target that blows up in tinder dry grass and brush. If any of you know suppliers of these targets please ask them to advise the buyers of the targets the consequences of using them in summer. As an added incentive to those that use these targets they should know that they will be cited if caught and if they start a fire they will be held responsible for suppression costs.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Not a good idea

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am

Agree completely.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am

Also agree 100%

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:28 am

Agree, Shooting exploding targets surrounded by a fire fuel load is ignorant.

We are in a severe drought here and one the places I drive by on my route of various dog training spots in the mornings, sits a recently burnt up one ton flat bed truck with bale spikes on the back. It is surrounded by about 20 acres of burnt low grass which had just been hayed and the remains of numerous burnt hay bales. Many other intact bales surround the burnt area in the middle of the field in a tribute to the volunteers that were able to put out the fire. Which was very fortunate as at the edge of the hay field sits machine shed with grown up tinder dry grass and weeds all around the buildings and several tractors and equipment items.

That situation was a honest accident and hazard that comes with doing necessary hay work in a drought. And a lesson to control what is under our control to prevent it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:01 pm

It is not a gun or shooting problem but just plain stupidity. We have always had them and seems like we will have them in the future.

Ezzy

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Agree. Stupidity

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:03 am

The problem isn’t with either the gun or the target, it’s the idiot using both in a hazardous area. Put all the warning labels on there you want, but those that are stupid, take warning labels as a challenge.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am

Mike da Carpenter wrote:The problem isn’t with either the gun or the target, it’s the idiot using both in a hazardous area. Put all the warning labels on there you want, but those that are stupid, take warning labels as a challenge.
lol Well said.