Seat covers for pets?

shotgun

Seat covers for pets?

Post by shotgun » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 am

Hi folks, I wanted to ask you, what do you use to protect your rear seats from dirt that dogs bring in? I have just a regular blanket which is way not the best way to protect the seats. First I thought I do not feel like I want to spend extra on those pet covers, but now I realize that's the only option to save my Tundra's seating lol
Cheers

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Seat covers for pets?

Post by shags » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:39 am

This kind has been in my daily driver Trailblazer and front seats of the truck for about 8 years now. What
i like best is that I can wipe them fairly clean, and don't have to remove them every time they get some mud or whatever on them; even hair comes off with a damp microfiber cloth. I've only removed them to wash one time. Full disclosure...I don't let filthy wet dogs on the seats as a matter of course, but sometimes they might have muddy feet. They always have shedding hair and drool, and might slop Wendy's fries and Frosty from time to time.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/auto-at ... s?slotId=3

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I always have crates in the back of my Expedition,and if dogs are wet and muddy, that's where they go. But my dogs go lots more places than just fieldwork or birdhunting ( we do competition obedience) and under normal circumstances, they're in the back seat of my upscale leather-upholstered vehicle.

When I first got this spiffy machine, I was concerned, as you are. But an old "comforter" (wife's term :it's a blanket thing from the top of a bed) in the back seat works fine, even on high quality leather. In fairness, I keep my dogs' toenails pretty well-trimmed. If you don't, that might be a problem. But I just smooth out the blanket before we go if it has slid around; they usually just go to sleep until we get close to our destination.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Mine are always in their dog boxes/crates.

Mud River makes a seat cover.

shotgun

Post by shotgun » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:50 am

I've read revews on the covers last night, and many people say Canine covers are good. Yet they are expensive - $170 per row, or that's okay for the rear seat protector?

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 am

I've had this one for a couple years and it's still holding up well: http://a.co/etMn744

It's wide enough for good coverage of the rear seats in a RAM 1500 and has flaps that cover the sides of the seats too. The hammock style keeps the dogs from falling between the seats, since the rear bench is so narrow, and covers the back of the front seats. Mine has gotten pretty wet and dirty but nothing gets through to the seats other than dried sand that will work its way through the seatbelt holes sometimes.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 am

Been running Marathon for years. Tuff as nails.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Put the dog in a crate! Problem solved, and it's a whole lot safer for the pooch. If you are ever in an accident or have to make an emergency stop a loose dog can become a projectile in a vehicle injuring both the humans and the dog.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Mine ride in the back of the Expedition in crates. It cuts down on mud, and odours on the seats.

shotgun

Post by shotgun » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 am

Dakotazeb wrote:Put the dog in a crate! Problem solved, and it's a whole lot safer for the pooch. If you are ever in an accident or have to make an emergency stop a loose dog can become a projectile in a vehicle injuring both the humans and the dog.
This sounds reasonable

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:35 pm

shotgun wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:Put the dog in a crate! Problem solved, and it's a whole lot safer for the pooch. If you are ever in an accident or have to make an emergency stop a loose dog can become a projectile in a vehicle injuring both the humans and the dog.
This sounds reasonable
x2

shotgun

Post by shotgun » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:22 am

Okay, as we've discussed, I bought a descent crate for transporartion. Having read the reviews, I discovered that amazingly many people report on the accidents when dogs suffered as they traveled at the back seat.
Also I bought a set of Canine covers, as my dogs still sometimes get inside and sit at the back seat.
https://www.carid.com/canine-covers/coa ... ector.html
These are pretty much expensive, but again, based on the youtube reviews, people say that these are deemed to be the best in terms of fit and protection. I plan on installing them this weekend. If somebody is interested, I can share pics of the covers installed later on...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:49 am

My bigger concern than dirt, is chewing on arm rests and other things. especially if you need to leave them for some reason......Cj