Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Dog got sprayed by skunk

Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby PoorMansWrangler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi guys,
Last night my year old GSP got into it with a skunk, and it ended with a dead skunk and a stinky dog. We got him washed and most of the odor taken care of, but today he had diarrhea in his kennel and it smelled skunky and was a green color. Is this to be expected, or should I take him to the ER vet. He is up to date on shots, and has a vet appointment Monday for his lepto booster. Other than the diarrhea, he seems fine, energetic and healthy gums. Thank you!
PoorMansWrangler
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby shags » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Dogs, LOL. My jagd killed 3 skunks in a week. Ugh!

I'm no vet and don't play one on TV, but if it were my dog, I'd wait 'n see as long as as the dog is acting good otherwise. Maybe give a half meal for dinner to take a load off his guts. If the dog seems off, I'd call my regular vet.

Maybe he swallowed some Skunkolicious? That would be enough to turn anyone's innards green :?
shags
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby PoorMansWrangler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 am

Just wanted to post a update, his stools are getting better and he finally is done with the skunk farts! Poor fella
PoorMansWrangler
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby MNTonester » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:03 pm

at least he eliminated the immediate threat - good dog
User avatar
MNTonester
Rank: Master Hunter
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby Sharon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm a night hawk and nothing worse than having your dog get sprayed at 2 am on their last time out before you go to bed. :)
Glad your dogs are doing better.
I read that if a dog gets a full concentrated blast - like if the skunk is in a short hole- it can kill a dog.
User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 8048
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Postby marysburg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 pm

About 3 weeks ago, two of our dogs were out for the last pee before bed, and they surprised a skunk when they went into the long grass at the edge of the yard. One got it in the mouth and the other got it in the eye. They had yellow skunk juice dripping off their faces. I called our local vet, and she said that the skunk juice is so caustic that it could cause esophageal ulcers or corneal ulcers for our dogs. She recommended that we flush the eyes and mouth of the dogs very thoroughly with plain warm water, and that we should not allow the dogs to swallow the rinse water.

Thankfully, I had a de-skunking kit ready for just such a situation (learned that one the hard way at 10 pm one night). I got
2 qt. jugs from the thrift store and stocked each with dish soap, peroxide, baking soda, disposable gloves and mixing directions. Just add water and voila. I keep a kit in each vehicle, and one in the house too. Skunks are pesky, but I really have a hate on for porcupines.
marysburg
Rank: Master Hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 am
Location: Please ADD LOCATION


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], GB, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests

| Pedigrees

THIS POST : Dog got sprayed by skunk brought to you by Gun Dog Supply: Dog Training Collars & Hunting Dog Supplies

Click here to tweet this post

  • NOT logged in
  • Dog got sprayed by skunk
  • ./viewtopic.php?f=69&t=53304&start=0&sid=93aefa6ccf967cc67d12fe617b9dc6f1