Dog got sprayed by skunk

PoorMansWrangler

Dog got sprayed by skunk

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi guys,
Last night my year old GSP got into it with a skunk, and it ended with a dead skunk and a stinky dog. We got him washed and most of the odor taken care of, but today he had diarrhea in his kennel and it smelled skunky and was a green color. Is this to be expected, or should I take him to the ER vet. He is up to date on shots, and has a vet appointment Monday for his lepto booster. Other than the diarrhea, he seems fine, energetic and healthy gums. Thank you!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog got sprayed by skunk

Post by shags » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Dogs, LOL. My jagd killed 3 skunks in a week. Ugh!

I'm no vet and don't play one on TV, but if it were my dog, I'd wait 'n see as long as as the dog is acting good otherwise. Maybe give a half meal for dinner to take a load off his guts. If the dog seems off, I'd call my regular vet.

Maybe he swallowed some Skunkolicious? That would be enough to turn anyone's innards green :?

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 am

Just wanted to post a update, his stools are getting better and he finally is done with the skunk farts! Poor fella

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:03 pm

at least he eliminated the immediate threat - good dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm a night hawk and nothing worse than having your dog get sprayed at 2 am on their last time out before you go to bed. :)
Glad your dogs are doing better.
I read that if a dog gets a full concentrated blast - like if the skunk is in a short hole- it can kill a dog.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 pm

About 3 weeks ago, two of our dogs were out for the last pee before bed, and they surprised a skunk when they went into the long grass at the edge of the yard. One got it in the mouth and the other got it in the eye. They had yellow skunk juice dripping off their faces. I called our local vet, and she said that the skunk juice is so caustic that it could cause esophageal ulcers or corneal ulcers for our dogs. She recommended that we flush the eyes and mouth of the dogs very thoroughly with plain warm water, and that we should not allow the dogs to swallow the rinse water.

Thankfully, I had a de-skunking kit ready for just such a situation (learned that one the hard way at 10 pm one night). I got
2 qt. jugs from the thrift store and stocked each with dish soap, peroxide, baking soda, disposable gloves and mixing directions. Just add water and voila. I keep a kit in each vehicle, and one in the house too. Skunks are pesky, but I really have a hate on for porcupines.