How to cover Ruff Tough kennels when using coupler kit

mgrucker

How to cover Ruff Tough kennels when using coupler kit

Post by mgrucker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I have two Ruff Tough kennels with the coupler kit to attach them together and the tie down brackets on the outside corners. This is my first year with a truck cap and having to keep the dogs back there so I've never used a cover before. Are there any covers made to accommodate the couplers and tie down brackets?

birddogger2

Re: How to cover Ruff Tough kennels when using coupler kit

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm

You have 2 ruff tuffs under a truck cap?

If the cap is more or less sealed, you should not need a cover unless it gets ungodly cold, since the truck cap should stop the wind when you are moving.

If it gets into the single digits or below, some wood chip bedding or good leafy hay in each kennel and a tarp over the top and sides should keep the dogs toasty. The preceding and a fitted piece of cardboard over the door opening would be all that should be necessary in any but the most frigid conditions, I think.

RayG

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Have you contacted Ruff Tough to see if they can recommend something?

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 pm

You could put on something like a mud river kennel cover and make small slices with a knife to accommodate the kennel couplers. If the fabric looks brittle once cut, bring it to a seamstress to overstich it to prevent the fabric from ripping or coming undone.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 pm

I hunt late season in Northern Nevada every year. It is below freezing every night and has been in the negative double digits a few times. I keep two crates in the back of my Excursion, I just throw an old sleeping bag over the top of both of them at night and leave it open at the bottom of the door a few inches. They get hot if you cover them up completely. I prefer it over my crate covers because I can pull it off and keep them cool during the day.

gsppurist

Post by gsppurist » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am

I have a Leer topper to protect the dogs/kennels. An old feather blanket works great.