Tracker that uses cell phone

oldbeek

Tracker that uses cell phone

Post by oldbeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Guys talking about it yesterday at a trial. What is the brand? pros and cons? Anybody have experience with them?

RyanDoolittle

Re: Tracker that uses cell phone

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Dogtra Pathfinder

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Does the pathfinder notify when dog goes on point? What is the time delay between time dog goes on point and time you get notification? Garmin is about 20 seconds delay.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm

No Idea. I have a Garmin and find theres a 5-10 second delay with the 320. The 430 has a faster update rate so I am assuming its a faster response time.

Personally I like a longer time because it gives tike for the unit to recognise the dog has actually established point vs looking for the handler or relocating running birds or taking a bathroom break.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Laelaps is another one. They have always intrigued me, but every iPhone I have ever owned has been horribly unreliable in cold weather when exposed. With my phones always being weak links in cold or rainy weather - the batteries tend to not like cold weather - I just bought a garmin Astro.
Last edited by Warrior372 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 am

yes the pathfinder has a dog on point signal, also a treed and running. you can choose any or none. I haven't timed the point signal, but my observation is a little delay... probably not more that 20 seconds. You can select update times on the app... less time more battery use.
I haven't had problems with the unit in cold weather... only thing the phone does is carry the app and take signal from the Bluetooth device. I will state that I'm retired and choose my hunting days... I don't have to hunt on extremely cold or miserably wet days :D

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Pathfinder. Works nice. I used it in airplane mode in areas without cell signal.

Basically, there's an "Antenna" that's about the size of a key fob, that connects to your phone with Bluetooth. It uses google maps for its mapping.

The "on point" or "treed" function works so-so, but you can see if your dogs moving on it or not and that tells you as much anyhow.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I don't watch the screen unless it notifies me of dog on point. Or dog gone for a loong time.