Bitch in heat at inopportune time....

redman25

Bitch in heat at inopportune time....

Post by redman25 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 am

Headed up north for a week with both gsps...male and female....and she's starting, smh. Need to take both or I'll be out of dog power by mid trip. Any suggestions from you old pros? There's a drug to stop it, but I've called 5 vets and none will prescribe it because of side effects, which tells me I wouldn't want to do it anyway. Really adds a stressor to what's supposed to be a relaxing trip with my dad. Always something.

isonychia

Re: Bitch in heat at inopportune time....

Post by isonychia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:32 am

Hmmmm. Having more than 1 dog gives us more dog power, but another huge benefit is having a backup. At least you have two dogs! Sorry I can't help, no experience there.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

Not a whole lot you can do that is safe. I definitely would not try to stop it. There might be something that is safe. But I have not seen it.
Hunt her alone and watch her close. If she just started you should be pretty safe for a week or so and again about threeweeks from the start........Cj

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

cjhills wrote:Not a whole lot you can do that is safe. I definitely would not try to stop it. There might be something that is safe. But I have not seen it.
Hunt her alone and watch her close. If she just started you should be pretty safe for a week or so and again about threeweeks from the start........Cj
Yeah that's the problem, she just started this past weekend, and our hunt begins this weekend. It's usually during the second week that he starts losing his mind around her. I'll just make do and hopefully he won't make this unbearable.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 pm

That's the trouble with those GSP's. They just have a knack of messing you up. Brits, Pointers, and most retrievers are much more considerate, right Guys?

Ezzy

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Hey I thought I posted this but I guess not...Just throwing out an idea here are you close to any GSP breeders or even kennels? Might be able to take the male there when not hunting and give you some peace and quiet at night. Now I am sure I will be piled on for what a horrible idea this is....

mm

Post by mm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 am

I have had good luck with the sent blocker FemTab. I would not run them togther but it seems to cut down the wineing in the kennel and in the truck when they are close to each other, My male seems less bothered. But I am still very careful.
mm

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 am

Going forward get the dog neutered, unless she is an exception dog with an exceptional pedigree...

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 am

Timewise65 wrote:Going forward get the dog neutered, unless she is an exception dog with an exceptional pedigree...
There are exceptional dogs without exceptional pedigrees. If not, I think it would be kind of boring and bottle necked. Those dogs can become the exceptional in a pedigree, though that is the exception.

Also female dogs are spayed.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:12 pm

What does exceptionalism have to do with getting a dog altered?

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

Just keep them separated. Separate boxes when they are in the truck, stake outs should be separate anyway, hunt them one at a time.