Pedigree Inquiry

Ndwelle08

Pedigree Inquiry

Post by Ndwelle08 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I picked up a new pup back in April and was curious if any Brittany experts could weigh in on some of his background? I am familiar with most of his lineage such as Nolan’s Last bullet and the Jacobson’s Kentucky Ike. He has some Maverick in his line as well. Is anyone familiar with Prairie View? I believe his background is very heavy from Minnesota breeders. He has been a great addition to the family and a treat to train at home and in the field! Thanks for any help and have a good luck chasing birds this season.

Nate

isonychia

Re: Pedigree Inquiry

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 am

Judging by there not being much for AKC titles I bet a lot of those are NASTRA dogs but usually the breeder will write those out. The best way to study a pedigree is search the records of NASTRA if you are looking at a brittany. I like to see a little DC in the lines I get. Some of those heavy NLB NASTRA dogs are more stubborn than an old man set in his ways. Sometimes we get pedigrees with no titles anywhere. Hunting dogs or just people breeding willy nilly. I see some NASTRA in there though.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 am

Other than the dogs you mentioned like Nolan's Last Bullet, Kentucky Ike and the Marverick lines I'm not familiar with the others. I've had Brittanys for over 20 years and this is the first I've seen a dog by the name of Rebel Jac's Hammerin Hank but he must have been a pretty good dog with NFC and FC. The rest are just likely someone breeding their dog to another due to the lack of titles. Other than Buddy (Nolan's Last Bullet) being a NSTRA dog I don't see any other in the pedigree that I recognize from NSTRA and I've been involved in NSTRA for some time. I even searched the NSTRA site and don't see any of the dogs there either. Kentucky Ike is from Ben's Brittanys in LeRoy, Minnesota. My step-son has a dog with some of the same background as yours. They are good dogs but due to the lack of titles they probably aren't real desirable breeding dogs.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 am

I am not a Brittany guy, but I did a bit of checking.

I would say that the best bred dog in that pedigree might well be the sire. The sire's dam is by NLB and out of a Microdot gyp whose lineage goes back to some of the very best Field trial Brittanys. I'd say there was plenty of "juice" in that pedigree, just from the sire's side. Certainly enough good genetics to make a heck of a bird dog.

FWIW, I strongly believe that the females do the heavy lifting when it comes to carrying the genetics forward. The males get all the credit, but there are females out there that will whelp awesome pups if you bred them to a stump.

Do a pedigree search or two on Buddy's Angel and Microbean's Gingersnap. You might like what you see.

Can't really comment about the dam's side because I am not familiar.

Good luck with your youngster. Looks like you got a 'goodun'.

RayG

Ndwelle08

Post by Ndwelle08 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks guys! I took a look at his paper and got a littler curious. Prairie View is an older breeder in central MN, Al Berner is the owner of the kennel. Sounds like he bred dogs for the foot hunter. Whiskey River is owned by Dan Meinzer in New Ulm and is a small kennel as well. The lower half of the pedogree appears to be heavy Maverick lines from southern MN. Appreciate the input.

Nate

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:13 pm

birddogger2 wrote:I am not a Brittany guy, but I did a bit of checking.

I would say that the best bred dog in that pedigree might well be the sire. The sire's dam is by NLB and out of a Microdot gyp whose lineage goes back to some of the very best Field trial Brittanys. I'd say there was plenty of "juice" in that pedigree, just from the sire's side. Certainly enough good genetics to make a heck of a bird dog.

FWIW, I strongly believe that the females do the heavy lifting when it comes to carrying the genetics forward. The males get all the credit, but there are females out there that will whelp awesome pups if you bred them to a stump.

Do a pedigree search or two on Buddy's Angel and Microbean's Gingersnap. You might like what you see.

Can't really comment about the dam's side because I am not familiar.

Good luck with your youngster. Looks like you got a 'goodun'.

RayG
Who has the Microdot? I'm not seeing it but probably missing it. For what it is worth, it seems pretty hard to find a Brittany, especially a NSTRA britt that doesn't have NLB in there somewhere.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm

found it:

https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=4

Microdot and NLB. Two of the more famous Brittany's.

Ndwelle08

Post by Ndwelle08 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Quick update on Zeus! We made our second trip to SD this past week and he rocked. Too many great points to count and some awesome bird work in less than ideal conditions with 25 MPH winds. We managed to get our 4 man limit all 4 days! Truly a hunt to remember for his first season!

Image Image