Beat Up Setter

Me&Mackinaw

Beat Up Setter

Post by Me&Mackinaw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:21 pm

I’m at grouse camp right now, as I’m typing. Day 4. My Setter is a hard charging machine that is 23 months old. I’ve started to let him range as he pleases... and it’s what I consider big. 100/175 yard sweeps. It would be longer if I allowed it. He’s a good minding boy, and I’m happy. He’s getting better. 3 solid points the last 4 days. 1 grouse to his credit, and 3 points on one woodcock that me and my buddy should have shot if we weren’t degenerates.
Nevertheless... he’s coming home bloody and smoked. My questions for you experts... I’m a new pointer owner... at his age... should I be running him 5 hours a day? When I mean 5 hours I mean 2 separate 2.5 hour hunts. GPS claims he’s putting in 7.5 to 10 miles per hunt. Maybe I’m missing something but that seems like a lot... and the bloody tail, tongue, elbows and knuckles are worrying me. Am I driving him too hard? Am I going to hurt him by subjecting him to constant strain? I don’t consider this a contest. I started to making him rest during afternoon hunts, thinking I’m helping him but feeling like I’m robbing him of experience. Help.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Beat Up Setter

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:19 am

The bleeding tail would have me worried. Some dogs lash their tails as they hunt and if the tail is a long one then it can be battered to shreds near it's end. That can put a dog out of action for a long time and it can also cost a fortune at the vet !

It is why spaniels have their tails docked and I have seen a few GSP's with undocked tails have to have them docked due to being badly damaged in cover.

I don't think you will persuade your dog not to wag it's tail when hunting so all I can suggest is that you tape up the end of it's tail prior to hunts ....or have the tail docked !
Sorry I can't be more helpful. Working a dog for 5 hours among thick cover will often cause damage if it is a tail lasher.

Bill T.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 am

I am pretty much with Bill on this.
7 to 10 miles is not really much for a 2.5 hour hunt. Five day hunts are tough on dogs, especially dogs that run hard. We have dogs that lose a lot of weight and have to be carried out to go to the bathroom when we get home. They all recover nicely but they all have docked tails. When we ran hounds it was a real problem. AS T. says I think you should look at taping his tail. Don't know just what tape to use, but somebody on here probably does.
You will probably need to restrict his time in the woods a bit more, at least until he gets a little older. Some dogs learn to take better care of themselves as the get older. Now it is up to you.....Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:31 am

I put a dog that age on the ground in game country as much as possible as that is how they learn their craft. When handled correctly that is how the great ones are made.

I put neosporin on the wear spots under my GWPs eyes and we keep hunting. (23 months in the photo).

My Dropper suffered a bloody tail tip from mid season to the end, every year. I wrapped it with vet wrap and then duct tape over the top of that.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:58 am

Some places sell those tail guards, not sure o
How good they are.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 am

Bag Balm or Vetricyn for the abrasions.

Check the eyes for seeds or other debris after every hunt.

Don't let him bang his tail until the flesh comes off and bone is showing. That will require amputation.

When the tip of the tail is raw and bruised, or even better, before that happens, you can fashion a guard from a spent shell; tape it on. But I find them to be heavy and some dogs are distracted by them. I've had pretty good luck with putting some ointment on the tip, wrapping a non-stick gauze around it, then using duct tape or gorilla tape over that. Don't crank down on the tape, because you do not want to limit blood flow to the tip of the tail; aim for something between firm and loose over the injured part with the gauze as padding, and get a good inch or two of tape on the tail hair below it a bit more firmly. I usually have to cut the tape off the hair resulting in a little raggedy spot but it grows back fast.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 am

x2 on the vet wrap for the tail. Cheap, easy on and off

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am

Let the dog hunt as much as he can. Take care of that tail though. I've heard said that an empty plastic tampon holder (I'm not sure what the right words are here) put over the tip of the tail and taped on works well. :oops: