First time on new species

isonychia

First time on new species

Post by isonychia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I have some simple questions about a trip coming up.

1) How can I tell the difference between california quail and mountain quail.

2) What about Hungarians and sharpies

These are all new species for me. I know I will learn out in the field but don't want to have to pass up a bunch of coveys before I figure it all out so any tips are appreciated. Maybe some are pretty obvious?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: First time on new species

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:08 pm

I am sure Bird recognition can be identified when you see it .
The dog however should not care much what species.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:24 pm

isonychia wrote:I have some simple questions about a trip coming up.

1) How can I tell the difference between california quail and mountain quail.

2) What about Hungarians and sharpies

These are all new species for me. I know I will learn out in the field but don't want to have to pass up a bunch of coveys before I figure it all out so any tips are appreciated. Maybe some are pretty obvious?
I know very little about quail- I've never hunted them other than pen raised bobwhites- so you'll have to hope for another answer, but I've hunted both huns and sharpies.

The biggest difference between huns and sharpies is the size. Sharpies are quite a bit bigger. They look like a hen pheasant with a whiter belly. Plus they chuckle at you when they fly away (it definitely is different than a pheasant cackle). The huns will have some rusty colors mixed in, but they aren't a mottled color, but rather a grey. Those are things I think you'll notice as they fly (other than wingbeat differences due to size). Obviously there are a lot of other differences you'd see up close.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Valley quail are smaller with a top knot, mountain quail will be found larger with a long top knot, some have a short top knot with a longer one. Mt. quail will be found at higher elevations.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 pm

California Quail have a comma shaped group of feathers on their head going forward vs mountain quail the small grouping of feathers face straight up or backward. I hunt a fair amount in SW Idaho and can confidently tell you that I have never seen a covey of mountain quail across 3 years of hunting. I live next to the foothills and have a covey of 50ish california quail that live on my culdesac. They are much, much more prevalent through foothill riparian areas. They have very different calls as well. As long as you are not walking though like an elephant you should hear them calling to one another. They make 2 very distinctive calls - One is like a pit-pit-pit-pit pit-pit-pit and the other is like is an assembly call -- just look that one up it is very identifiable. If you can replicate the assembly call, they will call back and forth with you. www.allaboutbirds.com has a good California Quail Assembly call example.

Hungarian Partridge (Gray Partridge) are a cinnamon brown to greyish color. Hangout in coveys until they split of in pairs for mating. They fly incredible fast - no rise they just shoot out of cover - and are they pretty smart. They are a little bigger then a california quail and a little smaller then a chukar. They really like rolling grass - cheat grass - and sage brush - I routinely find them in grassy areas and sage brush areas close to where I hunt for Chukar. They are really fun to hunt with a dog because they will often hold really well for a pointing dog who does not creep - once the dog gets a good feel for them. Much like quail, once the convey flushes you will get some stragglers who flush late, so if you do not get a shot on the first group to bust stay focused because another few will likely bust out. My dog does great on them and I could hike in their habitat all day. Very fun birds to hunt!

Sharp tail grouse are much larger - think small chicken, much less intelligent - like you could throw a rock at one from 5 feet out, miss and get a few more throws in before it thinks about flying away, and they tend to hangout in praries or around the edge of wooded areas solo or in much smaller groups. You and a Sharp tail grouse could have a stare down from 10 feet. I have not ever seen a Hungarian Partridge in no cover, fully exposed, staring right at me with no intention of getting as far away from me as possible -- Huns are quite skittish. They act very different for one another.
Last edited by Warrior372 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks, feel good about the sharpies now, sounds a lot like dusky grouse but different habitat. The mountain quail vs cali is still a concern but I will study the photos and hope they arent where I plan to look for Calis.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm

I edited my post above with info on a California Quails call. They are pretty vocal, so it is worth checking out. Where is your hunting trip?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 am

I have to disagree with Warrior on Sharpies.

I chased them a lot in North Dakota and found them in groups of 30 to 50 a lot. When in the large groups they will spot you and bust from 150 yards away. But when in small groups they hold tighter.

Huns will almost always be in a covey during hunting season which is why they are more likely to bust on you. The group will always have one extra skiddish bird that flies and triggers a reaction.

I don't think these two things relate to intelligence but rather the effects of group behavior on birds.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:52 am

Don't know about quail. If you're shooting at a rocket, it's a Hun. If you're shooting at a hen pheasant with a short tail, it's a sharpie. They also make a strange sound something like kuk, kuk, kuk when they're flying.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:06 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Don't know about quail. If you're shooting at a rocket, it's a Hun. If you're shooting at a hen pheasant with a short tail, it's a sharpie. They also make a strange sound something like kuk, kuk, kuk when they're flying.
Huns are notably smaller than Sharptails. Sharptails have feathered feet too.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:59 am

All I know is, I wish I was in your "predicament"!!! I envy you....period.
We just completed our annual Huns/sharptail hunt. …..amazing!!
Now that I'm back home, I'm in a state of depression but the meds help. :lol: Already counting the days towards next season.... :(

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:29 am

The top knot on the quail is different. The Valley Quail roll's over frontward. Mountain Qail's sweeps back, sort of like a head on wind blowing it. The Valley Quails goes up and forward d the mountain quail bore of a brown color.an. Valley quail is gray predominately an. But, In the ail, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Not a lot of mountain quail around here. In fact not a lot of valley either!