Pedigree

Gundog0181

Pedigree

Post by Gundog0181 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm new to the GSP breed and have acquired my first pup. Could someone look over her pedigree and let me know what they think? I plan on using her mainly for hunting but thought I may try a few trials in my area. The trials will mostly consist of some ufta trials and possibly look into some akc trials. Not as familiar with the akc trials though. I am mostly interested in learning more about the bloodlines of this awesome breed. She has been a great addition to our family and I look forward to spending many days in the field with her. Thanks in advance to anyone who would look her papers over and fill me in on her pedigree. https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... =0&damID=0
Last edited by Gundog0181 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JONOV

Re: Pedigree

Post by JONOV » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:54 pm

I can't tell you much about the dogs in terms of the GSP world but the sire and Dam (and Grandparents/Great Grandparents) would indicate that you have a top notch dog for most field trials that would tickle your fancy. They're all FC's or AFC's, a few Beauty Queens in there to boot.

FC=Field Champion, an AKC designation meaning the dog's won a bunch of trials (has to win 10 points including a win of 3 points.)
AFC=Amateur Field Champion, same thing except that the points can be earned in trials where Pro's aren't allowed.
CH=The dog is pretty and has won in the show ring a bunch in the AKC world, OR in American Field parlance that the dog has won a trial designated a championship, usually meaning limited to entries of dogs that have already won an AF trial.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:23 pm

FC's and AFC's suggest a possible fine hunter to be. See some famous names in there , but after 5 generations the names don't mean much.

I've heard that the lineage from the dam is more important than the sire. The dam appears not to be special. Be interested in other opinions on this.

I've had 2 GSPs- one a loser( in all ways) and one a winner.... out of BMK's Call to Glory :)

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:52 am

I think you have a solid bred dog. That being said though, asking an opinion about a pedigree is like asking someone if this is a good college football team. Given enough people you will get all kind of answers. The bottom line in my opinion though is, if you get a dog from titled linage, they have the ability to be trained and compete to a high level. Meaning you know that the dog has the foundation needed to be a successful Hunter or competiter, the rest is up to you....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Well said !

Gundog0181

Post by Gundog0181 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm not really looking for critiquing of her bloodline but I'm sure that might happen. Just looking for some input on some of the big names and what type of trials they may have competed in such as horse or foot type trials. She is already proving her blood in the field thus far. Still a long way to go for sure. Thanks

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Most all of the dogs that I see were horseback field trial dogs. Tonnelis Rising Sun was an All Age dog. He was a really big runner from California. Rockin Rollin Billy was a big running Gundog from Arizona. He was killed at a fairly young age before his prime or he would have done even more. Several of these dogs go back to Dixieland Rusty who was a very dominant sire for years. You have some really good dogs there....

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Where are you located? Are you in the Southeast?

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:14 pm

The dog will most likely make a nice Gun Dog, maybe HB gun dog at best. There are a couple All-Age dogs in there but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Start by going to a couple AKC and NGSPA derby trials to get your feet wet. If you enjoy them try some of the Horseback trials.

Gundog0181

Post by Gundog0181 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm from Kentucky. Kind of shooting for foot trials but mostly hunting quail. Don't even have a horse. She's not but 5 months old but I don't believe she's gonna be a horse trial dog. Her range is not that wide at least for now. She does hold her birds and is good around the gun. She is getting more confident in the field everyday so her range may change.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 am

At 5 months old its tough to tell.

My last shorthair started find the front and his legs at about a year old.