Bringing a new pup home.

chaynes

Bringing a new pup home.

Post by chaynes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:46 pm

While this will not be my first dog or pet I do like reading comments from others and often learn something helpful. I am hoping to get a new pup at the first of the year. What all do you recommend having in place or shortly thereafter? I will keep the dog inside and have a small crate or one that I can expand as the dog grows and crate train.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Bringing a new pup home.

Post by shags » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:04 am

A few rolls of paper towels and a tub of OxyClean :lol:

Also a collar, lead, a couple food and water pans, a couple of dog toys, whatever type of brush that suits the dog's coat, and some nail clippers (I start doing nails, checking teeth and ears very young, so the dog accepts it nicely later in life). We have dog beds other than the crate, and dedicated dog towels, and a shovel and rake set to pick up messes outdoors.

Make sure you have room in the closet for all the shoes you don't want chewed. Some sandpaper and wood stain to fix up the chair rungs and stretchers that get chewed because no shoes were laying around.

Have fun, good luck.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:09 am

You'll need a lot of socks! Puppy's like socks! :D

reba

Post by reba » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Be sure you have the proper size crate/kennel for crate training.

If the pup piddles in the house it is your fault. It will piddle in the house. You are a bad person:-)

I like to put the crate with the pup next to the bed, so if the pup is crying I just hang my fingers into the crate and say something like STFU.

Remember if the pup is smart the crying may be telling you it is time to go out. So get up and carry the pup out or it will stop and pee on it's way out!!

Socks? I've known pups that have swallowed socks, NOT GOOD!! Had a Lab swallow half a panty hose (don't ask) fed him a dinner roll full of vasilone every day for a few days and he passed it going away;-)

HAVE FUN!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:36 pm

reba wrote:Be sure you have the proper size crate/kennel for crate training.

If the pup piddles in the house it is your fault. It will piddle in the house. You are a bad person:-)

I like to put the crate with the pup next to the bed, so if the pup is crying I just hang my fingers into the crate and say something like STFU.

Remember if the pup is smart the crying may be telling you it is time to go out. So get up and carry the pup out or it will stop and pee on it's way out!!

Socks? I've known pups that have swallowed socks, NOT GOOD!! Had a Lab swallow half a panty hose (don't ask) fed him a dinner roll full of vasilone every day for a few days and he passed it going away;-)

HAVE FUN!
You can make them throw up by giving them a dinner roll soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide.

But a crate that the dog can't "escape" into to wee in one corner, so a small one or one with a divider. Don't get soft sided ones either, My dog tore out of one shortly after we got him home.