Pigeon Coop Space (Square Feet Per Pigeon)

JONOV

Pigeon Coop Space (Square Feet Per Pigeon)

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 am

What's the guideline for SF (or vertical feet if its relevant) on a per-pigeon basis?

I'm looking at converting a chicken coop to a Pigeon Coop.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Coop Space (Square Feet Per Pigeon)

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:23 pm

2 sq. ft.
Last edited by cjhills on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 pm

I have a 4x3 which is 12 square feet. I think of 16 as sustainable in there in the spring disease cycle and pecking issues. I currently have 23 birds in there. I'll probably loose a bunch in spring training but need to shoot at least 3 before winter. If you own (I rent for now but looking), go ahead and big a 200 square foot (or below the threshold in your area for permits) and pour a slab or whatever the ideal floor is and go for it. That is what I will be doing. I have had my 4x3' loft for 6 years. My aviary is an additional 2'x3'

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Dont know about you guys that side of the pond , but Chicken Coops are Ground base ,and Pigeons are living higher .
Separate sexes require a perch or box just big enough for a Pigeon to perch without touching the neighbour with an outstretched neck and beak.
Pairs ,require double that space if you allow them to breed . Either way The Coup will require Height rather than width or depth ......If it is a converted Chicken Coup . !

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:17 pm

polmaise wrote:Dont know about you guys that side of the pond , but Chicken Coops are Ground base ,and Pigeons are living higher .
Separate sexes require a perch or box just big enough for a Pigeon to perch without touching the neighbour with an outstretched neck and beak.
Pairs ,require double that space if you allow them to breed . Either way The Coup will require Height rather than width or depth ......If it is a converted Chicken Coup . !
Its about 4.5 Ft sqaure and tall with a peaked roof. It is actually elevated about two feet off the ground.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:18 pm

JONOV wrote: Its about 4.5 Ft sqaure and tall with a peaked roof. It is actually elevated about two feet off the ground.
That should be good to go ......for anything except Pigeons :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 pm

My only concern about height in a pigeon loft is keep them low so you can catch the birds easily. 2sq. ft works well.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:05 pm

JONOV wrote:
polmaise wrote:Dont know about you guys that side of the pond , but Chicken Coops are Ground base ,and Pigeons are living higher .
Its about 4.5 Ft sqaure and tall with a peaked roof. It is actually elevated about two feet off the ground.
Sounds good to me.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:17 am

ezzy333 wrote:My only concern about height in a pigeon loft is keep them low so you can catch the birds easily. 2sq. ft works well.

Ezzy
While my design, and the abandonment-in-place of the coop "sounded like a great idea at the time," I do have a half man door I can scoot in and plan to use a fly-fishing net to catch the birds.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 am

Mine is 4x7 with one solid long wall 4' high and the other 5' high, it is about 2' off the ground. I've had 30 birds, ideal capacity is probably closer to 20. I'm contemplating an 4x5 addition for quarantine and or, shooter bird housing.

A bigger coop allows for plenty of ventilation and perches, build as big as you can.