Brittany nose color

isonychia

Brittany nose color

Post by isonychia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:45 am

Well I do not think this last stripe of white (pink) will darken on my 10 month old pup. I know this doesn't matter for the NSTRA scores but how much penalty is there for conformation on the AKC side for DC and also how do the Brittany breeders out there feel about a small sliver of pink on the nose?
Last edited by isonychia on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEhomer

Re: Brittany nose color

Post by NEhomer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:06 pm

I had a Britt pup with a light spot on the nose that disappeared by the time she was two. Just fyi~

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 pm

I have no problem with the dog but I would not breed it.

Ezzy

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 am

4xam.field ch/ngdc/nagdc/fc/afc PETER GUNN pups sell for $4500.00. his nose is all pink as is my dog Missy, out of him and Tequila joker line

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have no problem with the dog but I would not breed it.

Ezzy
I would think if the dog had everything else going for it that you could still breed to a roaned brittany and throw 50% dark skinned full colored noses.

http://robintomasi.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... se-of.html

http://www.brittanydata.com/color.html

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am

So in theory a female that has two roaned parents would throw 100% roaned pups when bred with a non roaned dog correct?

And because you can only post 2 urls:

https://bearpawarsenal.com/blog/10-gene ... -genetics/

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Pink - no issue. It is only if there is white on the nose it is a problem.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

oldbeek wrote:4xam.field ch/ngdc/nagdc/fc/afc PETER GUNN pups sell for $4500.00. his nose is all pink as is my dog Missy, out of him and Tequila joker line
Who in their right mind pays $4500 for a Pete pup? I know the Carters bred him a LOT, but the pups weren’t anything special.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 am

jetjockey wrote:
oldbeek wrote:4xam.field ch/ngdc/nagdc/fc/afc PETER GUNN pups sell for $4500.00. his nose is all pink as is my dog Missy, out of him and Tequila joker line
Who in their right mind pays $4500 for a Pete pup? I know the Carters bred him a LOT, but the pups weren’t anything special.
My dog is an amazing dog with a lot of intelligence, but $4500. is crazy. They sold one a few months ago and it went quick at $2500.I guess they decided to see what the market will bear. They have sold 2 out of 5 at 4500 in this litter.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 am

That’s crazy, especially since Pete was known for having “happy feet”. I watched him run, and competed against him on numerous occasions, he was a nice dog, but nothing I’d get super excited about breeding to.... Dr Carter’s Emma dog is a really, really nice dog though. She may never win both Nationals in the same year like Pete did, but she’s a heck of a lot nicer dog IMO.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Ok so I am finally getting around to posting a photo here. Pup just turned 1 year old! So far rocked it on huns and chukar but had a hard time, as expected, with grouse this past season. Good temperament, a terror inside, super cuddly which I love. Good size and overall conformation outside of this little pink stripe. Anyone think this will still fill in? Given he performs well in the field, how do you score other aspects if you know you won't be entering in any shows? I am pretty sure if I crossed him with a roaned female it would take care of the nose color but otherwise this trait would likely be passed on. That being said, it seems like no matter what you will have some flaws in performance or conformation when breeding. This is all still very much in the prospect outlook so just kinda feeling that out. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:59 pm

The nose is fine as it is. The standard refers to white spots and not just lighter pink.

Ezzy

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:The nose is fine as it is. The standard refers to white spots and not just lighter pink.

Ezzy
Awesome, thanks Ezzy!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:02 pm

That is definitely a fault in the breed standard. Dog can be shown and may even win depending on its other traits. Most breeders would not breed it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

Handsome is as handsome does. :D I am always far more interested in what is inside a dogs head than in the dictates of "dog fashion."

I've had 3 brits and one had a flesh coloured nose the other two had black noses. They all won in shows and the one with the flesh coloured nose won her classes at Crufts . I was pleased she had won but not for her or for me. She was shown by someone else who was much more of show person than I am. I was pleased for her.

That was 30 plus years ago and that particular bitch would no longer even be permitted to enter the Brittany class at any dog show including Crufts. Only the French type brits are now permitted to enter Brittany shows and my bitch was half French, half American and looked "American" in type. Personally I think this is ridiculous for she beat every French brit that ever competed against her in field trials.

The dog show folk are crazy ! :roll:

Bill T.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am

Trekmoor wrote:Handsome is as handsome does. :D I am always far more interested in what is inside a dogs head than in the dictates of "dog fashion."

I've had 3 brits and one had a flesh coloured nose the other two had black noses. They all won in shows and the one with the flesh coloured nose won her classes at Crufts . I was pleased she had won but not for her or for me. She was shown by someone else who was much more of show person than I am. I was pleased for her.

That was 30 plus years ago and that particular bitch would no longer even be permitted to enter the Brittany class at any dog show including Crufts. Only the French type brits are now permitted to enter Brittany shows and my bitch was half French, half American and looked "American" in type. Personally I think this is ridiculous for she beat every French brit that ever competed against her in field trials.

The dog show folk are crazy ! :roll:

Bill T.
Health and Hunt are the big factors for sure. The timing between 1 year and 2 years old is full of anticipation. I might FF a little early just because playing keep away is getting old but going to get another season of wild birds before steadying. I would go ahead and steady this spring if my focal bird wasn't a forest grouse, just needs more time. Can't wait to see how he does with pressure around birds but going to play the long game on this one.