Ideas for exercise during winter

Kovan

Ideas for exercise during winter

Post by Kovan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:06 pm

It is that time of the year, winter is here. What can i do indoor to help drain some energy off my lab? I dont mind taking him outside but the problem is when i get home from work, it is dark outside already. A two block walk doesnt help much. Would appreciate it if anyone/everyone like to share some ideas thanks

Kovan

Re: Ideas for exercise during winter

Post by Kovan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Im going to rephrase it. Is there any particular indoor exercise you guys can recommend for a gun dog? Thanks

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Running on a tread mill works great.
It takes a little training but once they learn how it works great and they like it....Cj

Kovan

Post by Kovan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:01 pm

cjhills wrote:Running on a tread mill works great.
It takes a little training but once they learn how it works great and they like it....Cj

Thanks not a bad idea. Can probably pick up a cheap one from craigslist

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Kovan wrote:
cjhills wrote:Running on a tread mill works great.

Thanks not a bad idea. Can probably pick up a cheap one from craigslist
Don't, unless you've got a very little dog. A good rule of thumb for deck length is at least double the length of the dog from nose to the base of the tail.

Look up "dogpacer" treadmills.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 pm

We run dogs of all sizes on regular treadmill. We put a chain across the uprights and hook them up to the center of the chain. we train them first at a very slow speed. Some dogs are hard to get started. We don't chain them until they are comfortable with it. It works better with two people, Our dogs all like it once they learn how and can go at a fast trot we usually go about ten minutes and take them off for some free time. Then another session at least enough to get their heart rate up. Of course you need to stay near the dog...Cj

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:08 am

Kovan wrote:Im going to rephrase it. Is there any particular indoor exercise you guys can recommend for a gun dog? Thanks
Treadmill. If you only have an electric one then I like to put them at a nice trot on an incline. Make sure to take them out to use the bathroom first.

Human treadmill works fine but I recommend picking up a dog trotter mill. High quality it will last you a last time and it’s a manual dog mill so your dog can run at full speed safely. Also the model I have I can adjust the resistance.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 am

Are you in a snowy area? Skijoring can be an option.

Do you have kids? I used to harness a dog to my kids' snow saucers or sleds and the dog would pull the kids around. Best bonus, it got everyone out of the house for a while. It was easy to teach the dogs to pull.

Kovan

Post by Kovan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 am

wow those dog pacers and trotters are quite pricey. I will have to build up some cash for that, it would be nice to have though. which one would you guys recommend a pacer or trotter?

Kovan

Post by Kovan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am

shags wrote:Are you in a snowy area? Skijoring can be an option.

Do you have kids? I used to harness a dog to my kids' snow saucers or sleds and the dog would pull the kids around. Best bonus, it got everyone out of the house for a while. It was easy to teach the dogs to pull.

Yes it just started to snow and I don't think we are going to get anymore then what we have as of now which is a inch of snow. No I don't have any kids, I guess that's one the benefits of having kids so they can keep each other occupied. :D But I will keep that in mind, sounds like something new to do.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 am

Kovan wrote:wow those dog pacers and trotters are quite pricey. I will have to build up some cash for that, it would be nice to have though. which one would you guys recommend a pacer or trotter?
I have always used a people one with incline. The one I have now has a platform that is 26" X 52" it seems to be adequate and does a great job. Gold's Gym.....Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:50 am

Kovan wrote:wow those dog pacers and trotters are quite pricey. I will have to build up some cash for that, it would be nice to have though. which one would you guys recommend a pacer or trotter?
I was unfamiliar with Dog Trotter, but looked them up. Very spiffy, but big money indeed! DogPacer runs about $500 shipping included. You can see lots of reviews on the internet/Amazon. They last forever. Treadmiils for dogs have a covered motor; people treadmills don't, and dog hair will clog eventually.

Alternatively, if your dog retrieves canvas dummies (or similar), just put a few on short ropes (so you can throw them further) and gradually work him up to lots of long retrieves. Not as good for conditioning as a treadmill, but a lot more fun except in bad weather.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm

We go out to the woods and fields as usual. We stay away from ponds where the ice is not thick enough yet.(Sorry. I see you edited your post to "indoor exercise".)

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Here is a link to a video on how my son taught our GSP to use the treadmill last winter when I posed the same question to him. Quite simple and now the dog looks forward to the exercise, and I get none. HA!! It was actually quite simple.

https://youtu.be/nXRKKAiNE1U

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 am

Dog trotters are expensive but well worth it when you have one. Quality is really second to none. If I were going to get a pacer I would just use a human treadmill.

Kovan

Post by Kovan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:04 pm

bustingcover wrote:

Dog trotters are expensive but well worth it when you have one. Quality is really second to none. If I were going to get a pacer I would just use a human treadmill.

No doubt about the quality of a trotter looks heavy duty and Yes i had the same idea after searching up the dog pacers. Its almost just like a human treadmill so why spend that much for a dog pacer when you can pick up a used human treadmill for a cheap price.