Crate Training Issue

uplandviz

Crate Training Issue

Post by uplandviz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am

Good afternoon,
Last week I brought home my first Drahthaar. She is amazing and I know is going to be a good challenge to train. I have a Vizsla and all my previous training of dogs has been on Vizslas or labs. I can already tell the Drahthaar is going to be very different in training style.

My biggest issue right now is crate training. it has been a week and she barks nonstop when i the crate. I dont leave her more than 2 hours at a time but it is non-stop for those 2 hours. Any recommendations or tricks to break this? My 3 other dogs are losing their minds haha they all went through the same phase but never this long and intense.

Thanks!

Also, if you are a drahthaar owner, would love to chat about do's and don'ts. Will be joining national and local group come January.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate Training Issue

Post by shags » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 am

What has worked for me...when the dog starts up, I give the crate a good shake and tell the dog KNOCK IT OFF! Repeat as necessary ( usually once or twice).

We use airline style crates, being enclosed seems more conducive to the dog settling rather than in a wire 'dog jail', so that might make a difference.

FWIW I don't give a rat's patooty if the crate is the dog's happy place or not. Nice if it is, but otherwise they don't have to like it, they just have to go in, lay down, and shut up anyway.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:53 pm

my last britt did the same thing, until i moved the crate into our bedroom. for some reason that shut him up. as he got older, we moved it farhter away from our room, until he was where we wanted him to be.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I use a Dogtra anti bark collar. JRTs never quit barking ; that's not fair to the neighborhood...I don't need to charge it anymore ; just putting it on is sufficient.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

shags wrote:What has worked for me...when the dog starts up, I give the crate a good shake and tell the dog KNOCK IT OFF! Repeat as necessary ( usually once or twice).

We use airline style crates, being enclosed seems more conducive to the dog settling rather than in a wire 'dog jail', so that might make a difference.

FWIW I don't give a rat's patooty if the crate is the dog's happy place or not. Nice if it is, but otherwise they don't have to like it, they just have to go in, lay down, and shut up anyway.
I'm an in complete agreement with Shags. I will shake and tell the dog to knock it off. If things continue further, I will do what Shags does, and then throw a cup of water on the dog as well. Timing is everything though. Needs to be done while the dog is in the middle of the temper tantrum.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am

I agree with Shags and V-John....shake the crate! I fear since you have allowed the dog to bark for a time, this shaking may take some time. Using water is an added idea, but depending on the dogs age and temperament, that could cause additional problems going forward. Moving the crate may also help. But, know that since she has been allowed to bark, nothing will likely work right away...

I must assume that the pup is to young for a 'bark collar', again using one on a very young dog can result in some longer term behavior problems....so be ware of using it to early. I think after a pup is 6mo. you would be ok, as long as preliminary obedience is completed.

Good Luck

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:29 pm

How old is the dog?

My wirehair was a nightmare to crate train but it was largely my fault.

I'd crate her at night, through the night, waking to let her out to potty. I'd also cover the crate; that helped in my experience too, the darkness. They don't see what they're missing so they don't pitch a fit.

One other thought, can you/are you crating another (calm) dog nearby? Often seeing an older dog chilling in his crate can be helpful.

Also, move the crate far enough away that you don't have to hear it. The garage if its warm enough, basement, other side of the house, whatever.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Timewise65 wrote:I agree with Shags and V-John....shake the crate! I fear since you have allowed the dog to bark for a time, this shaking may take some time. Using water is an added idea, but depending on the dogs age and temperament, that could cause additional problems going forward. Moving the crate may also help. But, know that since she has been allowed to bark, nothing will likely work right away...

I must assume that the pup is to young for a 'bark collar', again using one on a very young dog can result in some longer term behavior problems....so be ware of using it to early. I think after a pup is 6mo. you would be ok, as long as preliminary obedience is completed.

Good Luck

Ahhh I didn't think of that in my post. Thanks for bringing that up.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm

One thing that seemed to help me was to throw a shirt that I had wore with my smell on it in the crate, and taking a metal water bottle and filling it with warm water. Other than that it’s the shaking the crate routine. Also, the saying that a tired dog is a good dog is true, and it certainly helped to wear my pup out before putting him in the crate.