Garmin help

marwei

Garmin help

Post by marwei » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Anybody else inadvertently stimulated their dog with the Garmin tri-tronic? I had tone selected “l thought”
and meant to “tone” my dog but I gave him a stim instead. When I looked at the garmin it was not set on tone and I can’t figure out how to lock the settings so I don’t do it again. Thanks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Garmin help

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 pm

So, you must have the Alpha this is NOT a user friendly unit. The "bleep" thing switches screen to screen and it's very easy to inadvertently change from stimulation to tone or tone to stimulation. Is it the Alpha?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:43 pm

If it's the Alpha and you hit a training button, the screen will pop up with levels and type on it. Just arrow over to the button your using for tone, then arrow down and change from stimulation to tone. Problem with locking the screen is that you can't switch from dog to dog then. With button lock you can't use any button. All in all, I think they layed an egg with the Alpha 1100.00 down the drain.

marwei

Post by marwei » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes it is the Alpha

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Then hit any button and the training screen will come up. On mine I have it set for each dog that the first button, top left, is 2 medium constant. Middle button is 3 high constant. Third button on right is Tone. So, press the button you want. Now, arrow up or down to the type of stimulation level and the level. Exit out an it will be set. As far as I've been able to figure out, there is no way to set it up and lock everything so you can still train but not change the screen. With heavy gloves it's impossible. I'm upset. Lot of money to pay for something as poorly thought out as the Alpha.

I was just in SD for a week with it. Even carrying it in the holster it would change screens and dog's so that before I could ever make a correction, I'd have to look at the screen to see which dog I was looking at and make sure the setting for intensity hadn't changed. Piss poor set up. I'm about ready to dump it and go back to my 320 Astro with 100 collar.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:45 am

Set the buttons, put it on compass screen and lock the screen.
Then use the buttons. They won’t change by themselves.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am

Then you have to unlock the screen each before using it. If you run more than one dog. A poorly thought out PITA. They are in dire need of a fourth button or toggle.

Lemaha

Post by Lemaha » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am

I run 3 setters at a time on my alpha , left button is 1 dog, middle another, right another . Each button is set on constant stim with different levels depending on the dog. I can control how much stimulation they get by how long I hold the button down. It is set on compass and I never have to unlock the screen till I'm done for the day.My dogs range at times 400 yards , in 45 years of quail hunting it's the best tool I've used. It took me awhile to figure out the best way to use it, but I couldn't imagine being without it now.Also my dogs never see a pen bird , I"m not that good a trainer so I let the birds train them. I definitely understand the frustration I almost got rid of it lots of times .The screen must be set on small numbers the way I use it.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 pm

It is not funny but I can't help snickering. Yes I used the Alpha for the past 3 years and have been the victim of the horrible touch screen changing the training button settings inadvertently. It is critical to lock them. Which then makes it extremely slow to change them. Even worse when trying to handle two dogs at the same time. Hence why the 550 Plus came out. I am using the 550 Plus now and loving it. The Alpha rides in the bag and may never see the light of day again.

Here are instructions on the locking the screen once you have the training buttons programmed as you want them to be.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=s ... UpNLomSqF7

marwei

Post by marwei » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Yep, my problem seems to be when running two dogs and changing back and forth. Thanks I will look at the 550.