I'm BACK!

chiendog

I'm BACK!

Post by chiendog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello All,

After a longer-than-hoped for hiatus from book writing, I am happy to announce that Pointing Dogs, Volume Two: The British and Irish Breeds is now fully back on track. But before I get into the details, let me once again thank all the fine folks on this board who helped me with Volume One. Not only did this awesome community provide me with a rich source of information and resources, it served as an excellent sounding board where I could ask questions, float ideas and get my a** kicked for being wrong, lazy or both. So, from the bottom of my heart, THANKS EVERYONE for all your help and support.

Here are some frequently asked questions about Volume Two.

What's it about? In a nutshell, it covers all the breeds that were not covered in Volume One where only breeds from Continental Europe were covered in detail and those developed in the UK mentioned in passing only. There were a number of reasons for not including the British and Irish breeds in V1. The first was practical. If I had included them, the book would have ended up being nearly a thousand pages long, weighing over ten pounds! The second was due to the fact that in much of the world, the overall category of pointing breeds is divided into two sub-categories that compete separately (and under slightly different rules) in field trials and shows. And finally, the British and Irish breeds are so wide-spread, so well-known and have played such an important role hunting cultures around the world, I always thought that they deserved an entire volume dedicated to them alone.

When will it be done? My goal is to have the book at the printers by February 2020, and on the market by March of that year.

What can we do to help? Thank you for asking :lol: How about just kicking my a** when I am wrong or lazy or both? As mentioned, I really did benefit from all the input, support and a•• kickings I received from this board for V1 and hope to get the same sort of thing for V2. So watch for my posts of (hopefully) good questions, observations, updates, photos and the like and feel free to chime in at any time. Will you keep us updated on your progress? Yes. I've started a new feature on my blog where I will be posting updates and interesting information that I come across in my research and travels for V2. I will make sure to include links to the board whenever I update the blog. Here is the first instalment called "A Parker Gun and Two Russian Setters", an extraordinary piece about hunting prairie chickens over Russian Setters in Nebraska in 1885. http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog ... iansetters

Thanks again everyone. Onwards and upwards!