male or female puppy

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: male or female puppy

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:41 pm

My GSP females have all came into heat at 13 to 15 months , except for the one I have now. She came into heat at 10 months. I would consult my vet about this but I think I would wait until a year old even if she did have her first period before that.
The problems with spayed females are rare no matter what age you do it. There are millions of spayed females who live long happy lives with no issues, spayed at all ages. Go with whatever you decide and don't look back.
I think most trainers would be pretty reluctant to take a dog in heat. But it only last three weeks......Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: male or female puppy

Post by polmaise » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Novice123 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm
I have a reservation for a French Brittany puppy to pick up approximately June 1. I have always had female dogs. It has been 45 years since I had a dog. I never had my English Pointer or GSP spade but I did not have either very long as I sold them. Right now I have a reservation for a female pup. I read that I should wait until the dog is about 23 months before having it spade. Lately I read that a tubal litigation is better than removing the ovaries as removing the ovaries greatly increases risk of mammary cancer and other health problems. That seems like a solution since I want a hunting dog and am not interesting in breeding my dog. The reason for having my female dog sterilized would be so that the dog will not be in heat during hunting season or accidently become pregnant. Do you know if tubal litigation is practical? Is it done on a routine basis? Is it a lot more expensive than removal of ovaries? What about a male dog? The reason I was staying away from a male is that I plan to have my dog inside at night and don't want any issues of 'marking' or 'spraying' to mark territory inside our home. How would you contrast a male versus a female strictly for hunting, not for breeding? I might still be able to change my puppy request to a male, depending on what I learn on this forum.
A trained dog is a trained dog or bitch. The advice on health or issues of neuter are irrelevant. Both sexes.