GWP breeder suggestions

Up North

GWP breeder suggestions

Post by Up North » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

We are looking to add a GWP to our hunting family, and are looking for a quality breeder. Needs to be able to be calm in the house. We exercise our dogs daily, and don’t want a hyper house dog. If you prefer please send a PM. Thx.

Steve007

Re: GWP breeder suggestions

Post by Steve007 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Right here.
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Bernee Brawn is thoroughly wired in :wink: to the best breeders in the country -- she being one of them -- and will absolutely connect you with a top-flight person who has quality wirehairs if she has nothing available. I own two of her dogs -- both with significant accomplishments and both full-time housedogs who go to the office with me. You will not go wrong.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

https://www.wirehairalliance.com/breedersmembers

Link is to the Breeders list specifically, but you can explore the entire site which explains the Breeders Alliance, its purpose, goals and standards. Several posts and photos of our season this year in the Hunting Section of this Forum. Glad to share what I know about several of the Breeders on the list including the source of my current dog in those posts if you want to send me a PM.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am

Steve007 wrote:Right here.
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Bernee Brawn is thoroughly wired in :wink: to the best breeders in the country -- she being one of them -- and will absolutely connect you with a top-flight person who has quality wirehairs if she has nothing available. I own two of her dogs -- both with significant accomplishments and both full-time housedogs who go to the office with me. You will not go wrong.
I would also suggest Bernee Brawn. Straight up...no nonsense...a dedicated breeder who has produced top shelf dogs. I have seen a few. They are for real. If it has to do with her breed...she knows about it. I knew her when she was in PA. She has all the time in the world for someone who is genuinely interested, but near zero tolerance for tire kickers.

If I wanted a wirehair to hunt over or compete with, or both... she is where I would start.

RayG

Up North

Post by Up North » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks Steve. How far out would you say is the natural range of your dogs in the woods?

Averageguy thanks for the list I have looked at some of the Western breeders.

Up North

Post by Up North » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am

Steve or Ray do you have a different number than the one on that blog page? That number doesn’t seem to work. Thx.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 am

Up North wrote:Thanks Steve. How far out would you say is the natural range of your dogs in the woods?

Averageguy thanks for the list I have looked at some of the Western breeders.
If you have not had a good wirehair, you will be shocked at how adjustable and smart they are if they like you. One of my dogs is a former nationally-ranked field champion and if you get on a horse and no shotgun,she is WAY out there and driving hard. But my hunting partner --who admittedly has a trialbred setter-- would tell you she's a closeworking dog if I'm walking with a shotgun,and if you're talking nothing but seriously thick woods where I move slowly and might fall down,she honestly stays within 30 or 40 yards or so, and quarters. I guess I taught her to do that that. Hard to know as I mostly can't see her, but she's right with me. In open country --me on foot-, she goes until she finds birds or I whistle or tell her that it's far enough.

My other dog is not a trial dog--never urged him to get out there--but he works about the same in really thick woods and gets out a couple of hundred yards in really open country unless I tell him otherwise by voice or signal. And then he'll do what I ask.

If you keep them as house dogs and work with them --younger dog is a UD obedience dog-- they really will be your partner and do what you ask. They will stay in contact with you. If you fall down and don't get up, they'll come back. You'll be amazed at them.

Bernee's email is is justagwp@gmail.com .She's recently moved from Pennsylvania to Florida,so # may not be accurate. She is a member here,and just posted.Look up fuzznut .

Up North

Post by Up North » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Okay thx. for the hunting description of your dogs, that is pretty much what we are looking for. It must be why her number was no good. Thx again!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Here is a guy to talk to that has a very nice litter coming up. I know the dogs in the pedigree very well for generations back! Should make good gun dogs, water dogs and nice easy house dogs.

He is in Wisconsin- Jesse Schneeburg 262 468 6368.
He has a facebook page where you can see the dogs, and is a good guy.
Good luck!!

Up North

Post by Up North » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Thx. Everyone!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:52 am

Go to Facebook and do a search for Meg Eaden. She's got the best wirehairs I've ever seen. Run's AKC and found out last year, NAVHDA with her dog's. Another to check would be Ray Calkins but need to get on a list with him I think. He would be Cascade kennels in Sherwood, Oregon, unless hes moved!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Just got a message from Meg, Wireswest German Wirehair Pointer's. Very honest and popular out here!

Up North

Post by Up North » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Thx. I will make contact. Nick