Garmin Alpha

uplandviz

Garmin Alpha

Post by uplandviz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Finally made the jump and got the Alpha with two collars. IM in the process of getting them set up and marked up for easy on in the field. It looks like both collars came with the extended range antenna on already.

Question- which antenna do you all use? is it worth it to just leave the 22 inch antenna on? my one dog isnt fully grown so was going to put shorter antenna on hers- is it an easy processes? Thanks!

Dakotazeb

Re: Garmin Alpha

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 am

If you are on Facebook there is a group on there for Alpha and Astro users to ask questions and get plenty of responses and help. Just search "Garmin Astro & Alpha Users".

reba

Post by reba » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am

YES, just leave the longer antenna on :D

You will love it!

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:If you are on Facebook there is a group on there for Alpha and Astro users to ask questions and get plenty of responses and help. Just search "Garmin Astro & Alpha Users".
Thanks for pointing out this group. I just joined. Searching through old posts cleared up a couple things for me. Seems like a useful bunch for the most part.

uplandviz

Post by uplandviz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks. I’ll check it out!

straightup1

Post by straightup1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:13 pm

uplandviz wrote:Question- which antenna do you all use? is it worth it to just leave the 22 inch antenna on? my one dog isnt fully grown so was going to put shorter antenna on hers- is it an easy processes? Thanks!
I swap out the extra long for the shorter one.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 am

I use a collar on the dog with an O ring in the middle. I use the long antenna and just stick it through the O ring. Works great.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 am

I hunt with Mini TT15s with the shorter antenna and have never been limited by it. But in either case, I zip tie the antenna to a hole in the collar strap so it is supported vs whipping all around, and positioned in a natural curl direction around the the dogs neck.