What pointer line to cross my female with.

Setter1

What pointer line to cross my female with.

Post by Setter1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm

I currently have a female pointer out of Wiggins Lightning which is a male out of Caladan‘s rail hawk and on the Dame side she is out of Lesters Thunderbird and Wiggins miss Sammy breeding. I love her temperament and she has been a fast learner in the field. This was her first year hunting as she is only one year old and she did a great job out in western Kansas hunting pheasant and quail. The only problem is she is a lot to handle unless you have an E collar on her, she will flat find a line and just go. Love her style and has a great tail but would like to breed her to something just to take a little bit of the run out of her pups. I believe she would be a horseback dog and would like to have pups that could be ran in a walking trail. I have read a lot on this forum about pointers but the stuff I like reading about is from 2008-2011. What lines in 2019 would be good to cross with ready set go!!!

birddogger2

Re: What pointer line to cross my female with.

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Setter1 -

Three years ago I bought a male pup from Mike Husenits. the sire was Erin's War Creek and the dam was Braveheart Cassie. War Creek's pedigree is easily available. Cassie is by Erin's Braveheart(Bad River out of Sinbad/Wiggins) out of a Fibber/Caladen gyp.

I don't know which side gets the credit for it, but this youngster has the most comeback I have ever seen in a well bred pointer. My son also purchased a pup out of the same litter for hunting, a female, and she has a lot of comeback also ... so it IS somewhere in that breeding.

War Creek has a borderline all age race. And he handles. I have seen him in action. The dam I never saw run. War Creek is older but still in competition. I think. I'd breed to him for what I'm looking for in a dog.

Something to consider.

RayG
Last edited by birddogger2 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm

With all due respect to the assembled knowledge of this board, the first place I'd look for advice would be Ross Callaway, breeder and owner of Jack prior to selling him to Dr. Corder, and Don Wiggins.

Setter1

Post by Setter1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for info. That’s where I will start but still want to hear others thoughts. If nothing else everyone learns something about some of the crosses that people like. Thanks

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Pedro wrote:With all due respect to the assembled knowledge of this board, the first place I'd look for advice would be Ross Callaway, breeder and owner of Jack prior to selling him to Dr. Corder, and Don Wiggins.
I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

RayG

Setter1

Post by Setter1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:56 pm

That is a great idea and I will try to contact. Still wouldn’t mind hearing everyone’s ideas. Really enjoy learning about what each individual thinks are the best crosses.