Advice on Locating and Selecting a GSP pup

Chet

Advice on Locating and Selecting a GSP pup

Post by Chet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 pm

My family is ready for a dog and we've decided on a GSP. We are a hunting household and want a dog that will be both a well behaved family pet and an asset in the field. We live just north of Denver, CO and plan to take the dog for pheasant, quail, huns, and sharptails in CO, KS, and NE. And might even take a shot at some Dusky Grouse here in CO. We would prefer a smaller stature dog (up to 45 lbs) as our youngest daughter is both infatuated with dogs and moderately scared of them. Getting knocked over constantly probably won't help that situation, so I'm thinking we want a female from a smaller line. The dog will be a family pet first, so a calmer demeanor is preferred. Any ideas as to who I should talk to or how I go about identifying such a pup? So many of the breeders I've reached out to have their litters for the year pre-sold.

averageguy

Re: Advice on Locating and Selecting a GSP pup

Post by averageguy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pm

There are several members of the Heartland NAVHDA Chapter who have some excellent GSPs from the Sharpshooter Kennel line. One member recently posted on FB, they are taking deposits on an upcoming litter. Send me a PM if you like and I can give you some information if you are interested. I also know of a 40lb Female 19 month old GSP for sale. Very well bred, been developed/trained by an excellent dog man and hunted on wild birds. She does not run as big as he would like, which might suit you just fine. Can share those details as well if you want to PM me indicating your interest.

Nascon

Post by Nascon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm

tel:(719)495-6766. Start to finish dog training, you won’t find a more knowledgeable person when it comes to GSP’s. Mark used to work with me, good person.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am

The size might be bigger than what you want, but I'd echo the Sharpshooter dogs.

Also, the Sundance line. They are universally nice, even headed dogs from what I've seen.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Some of the finest dogs I have personally been exposed to were produced by a kennel named "Odyssey GSPs". They are exceptional wild bird hunters/trial dogs, albeit, not for the feint of heart.