Peeling pads

bethwr

Peeling pads

Post by bethwr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Looking for advice for our girl’s poor peeling paw pads. We live in Michigan, where it’s been extremely cold. I just noticed her paw pads are peeling. It looks almost like the edges of a burnt piece of paper. One of the pads looks red and irritated, almost bleeding, but it doesn’t seem to bother her.

I tried applying bag balm, but she just licks it off, which likely makes it worse.

Any advice? Should we have her wear boots since it’s insanely cold? She’s a Brittany, not a hunting girl, just an excellent frisbee catcher who is not used to the cold.

Thanks I’m advance for the help!

one4fishing

Peeling pads

Post by one4fishing » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Try Mushers Secret. It helps my GSP’s pads on the rough sharp rocks we chukar hunt in. The biggest help though is when we hunt crusted snow. That stuff plays heck on his feet. Mushers Secret makes a big difference.

Featherfinder

Re: Peeling pads

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 pm

If your dog is a house pet then you need to build up the dog's pads. There are products out there such as Tuff Foot, etc. that work well. The issue is that if your dog is domiciled for the most part, you will not get away from the issues you describe without a serious conditioning or rehab program.
Wishing you all the best!