New pup names and tips

northwoodshunter

New pup names and tips

Post by northwoodshunter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm

I picked up my GSP puppy yesterday, he is doing very well with everything and is great. However I’m having trouble with a name. I’ve been thinking Oscar or Oslo oamd either could be called Ozzy for short, Jaeger, Wrigley, or Easton, but I don’t know that I like any of them that much. Oscar or Oslo are probably top right now but I’m still not sure. I need to decide soon as I need to let the breeder know because they are registering all the pups. The pup is a male and he is liver roan with a few spots. The breeder suggested Oscar because of his face, right now he has a grumpy looking face, especially with how unproportional his ears are to his head, and said he looks like Oscar the grouch. Any suggestions would be great! And any tips on things to do with him right now with the cold weather would be great as well.
Thanks.

birddogger2

Re: New pup names and tips

Post by birddogger2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Congrats on the new pup. Puppy breath is the bomb.

As far as names are concerned, I like names that start with a "B", as they come out sharp and forceful. I avoid names that start with an "S" or a "P" because that tends to lead to spitting although I did name one "Star" and to me...she was.

I have a feeling that the name "Buddy" might be close to the mark for you. Maybe "Bud Lite". I had one of those too.

Enjoy this time with your pup. It goes very quickly. Make good friends with him. Be his leader, but be a benevolent dictator. Play training(some call it directed play) is the way to go for now.

A dog that actually likes you will tend to want to stay with you and want to do what makes you happy.

RayG

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Congrats on your new pup ! I love them liver roan shorthairs. Can't be much of help with picking a name but i am sure one will come to you ! Enjoy !

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:31 am

I have named a lot of puppies. I always have a problem coming up with the right name. But whatever I named them seemed like the right name after we both got used to it. Keep it short. Make sure it is a name you can call him with easily......Cj

Rio

New pup names and tips

Post by Rio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am

I like a name that is 2 syllables and ends in a long vowel sound. Long enough for them the recognize it and the long vowel sound carries better if you have to call out to them at some distance.

Imagine yourself calling to him from 75 yards. Ozlo or Ozzie would seem to carry better than Oscar. Just my opinion. Maybe I’m crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:23 am

Why is the breeder registering them? I like to think awhile about a name and see what I get watching the pup grow. Of course that is how I get the call name and it doesn't need be anything like the registered name!

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 am

They are registering all the puppies and paying for the registration for all of them. I think they do that for all their litters.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Rio wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am
I like a name that is 2 syllables and ends in a long vowel sound. Long enough for them the recognize it and the long vowel sound carries better if you have to call out to them at some distance.

Imagine yourself calling to him from 75 yards. Ozlo or Ozzie would seem to carry better than Oscar. Just my opinion. Maybe I’m crazy Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. Hard consonant at the beginning , 2 syllables and ends in a long vowel sound.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Ended up going with Oslo as his name and Ozzy for short/variant. The breeder helped with the registered name. Otherwise now any more tips for the pup would be great.
Thanks everyone who replied!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 am

Your call name can be totally different than his registered name...…...Cj

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:56 pm

name the pup dammit you will find your going to use it anyway, it will just kids rolls off the toung
kidding aside I like the name Bella, I have frind calls his dog zone ,don't use a name that sounds like whoa

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 am

DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND BE INVOLVED WITH THE REGISTERED NAME!!! If you win awards that is the name they use and you'll be embarrassed every time. I am only semi-joking. My springer has the worst, worst, registered name and she kills it at hunt tests so I get to hear it a lot.

Conventional wisdom has been discussed already (don't name is something that sounds like a command or ends in a consonant or ends in the "eee" sound), but to be honest, I've broke all those rules. My springer's call name is "Mack" and my pointer's name is "Sammy." I've not had issues with it yet.

That being said, I have a lifetime's number of registered and call names picked out for future dogs, all with a Western theme. I find it fun to have a call name that relates to the registered name but is not in the registered name, i.e. "(Kennel's name) Big Nose Lady" call name "Kate."

Just have fun with the name. It's your dog.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am

I ended up going with Oslo and my nephew and girlfriend like to call him Ozzy which hasn’t been a problem. He’s just now learning his name and figuring it out. The breeder helped me with a registered name.