The leash law and the hunting dog

freealfin

The leash law and the hunting dog

Post by freealfin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm

I live in a State and city that has the proverbial Web site and the proverbial leash law. The first thing you see when you log into Animal control laws is "NO DOGS WITHOUT A LEASH ANYWRE" Not true! My state, County and City have an exception. Is is convoluted, slightly different for all three and hidden under "licencing" but's there. All three say that Hunting, Herding, Racing and K9 dogs are not at large without a collar, harness or licensing tag. What two of those thing have to do with running loose without a leash? Ya...you got it....you can't attach a leash. Check it out. I'm currently fighting city hall. Maybe you should too. By the way...the thing this type of dogs have in common is power (police) and big money.

mnaj_springer

Re: The leash law and the hunting dog

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 am

Is there a question in here for the group? Considering nearly all of us live in different areas, this will be different for each individual here.

Posing a question to the group may be more productive.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:28 am

Funny thing, years ago I carried my old pointer, Rex, with me on the road driving. Stopped in the middle of no G.D. where in S. California, no traffic at all. Sitting there watching Rex run and up pop's a Cal Hwy Patrol officer. he's shooting the breeze and then notice's Rex running. Tells me that the county I'm in has a leash law. He was good enough not to give me a ticket because I was from out of state and probably didn't know that. Really nice guy!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 am

freealfin wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm
I live in a State and city that has the proverbial Web site and the proverbial leash law. The first thing you see when you log into Animal control laws is "NO DOGS WITHOUT A LEASH ANYWRE" Not true! My state, County and City have an exception. Is is convoluted, slightly different for all three and hidden under "licencing" but's there. All three say that Hunting, Herding, Racing and K9 dogs are not at large without a collar, harness or licensing tag. What two of those thing have to do with running loose without a leash? Ya...you got it....you can't attach a leash. Check it out. I'm currently fighting city hall. Maybe you should too. By the way...the thing this type of dogs have in common is power (police) and big money.
I too don't see what you getting at.
Unless you mean you can't attach a leash to a collarless / harnessless dog .... which, you can (simple slip knot with the looped end).

City of Surpise has that exception?

My city does, which is kinda of nice.
Spells it out quite a nicely.
I don't know how your specific municipality reads/is worded.

As far as a hunting dog in my City: "(2) If the dog is used for control of livestock or while being used or trained for hunting .... (3) While the dog is actively engaged in dog obedience training, accompanied by and under the control of his owner or persons acting for the owner or trainer; provided, however, that the person training the dog has in his possession a dog leash of not more than six feet in length and of sufficient strength to control the dog."

So you better be "actively engaged in dog training", have a leash, and be "in control" of the dog.
Or at least make a half-a** display at doing so. You can't just use this as an excuse to let the dog run around.
Sometimes, I throw the e-collar on the dog, sometimes an orange safety vest on her ...
We actually "train" commands, but at some point I let her run more and get it out of her system....recalling her every so often (frequently) to facilitate "training".

I've debated on taking her vest and stenciling "IN TRAINING" on it.
At times when a lot of humans are around (being that I'm in construction) I will throw on a matching orange vest.
Works out, I keep the whistle, poop-bags, leash, multitool, remote, etc all on/in that vest.

But the problem is if you are at a public park (most giant open spaces, ball fields, retention basins, etc, are governed by the City Park Dept.),
then the Park Dept's leash law requirements (probably) take precedence over those general exception clauses.

So good luck finding a big open space within the City limits, that is not a public park, school field, etc. ...
...or that is not private land.

What I am currently doing a lot, is running/training my dog right out in front of this huge grass area right at the City Hall complex, which funny enough, is right next to the police dept.HQ. It's not a "Park". I have that exception rule loaded up on my smart phone library.

The other problem, is other people don't understand the nuance of that exception, and then think its ok for their non-working dogs to be off leash.....I guess they could be "obedience" training...but that's not going to be the case most times.

These days, a lot people are apprehensive (neurotic?) about dogs running around.
The might think your 'crazy' looking GSP or Lab running around is just going to come over and eat their pocket comfort dog in one bite.
You have to consider many point of views.

Its best to stay far away from humans as much as possible.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm

freealfin wrote:
I see you posted this question in Oct./18 Answers you rec'd should be sufficient.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Sharon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm
freealfin wrote:
I see you posted this question in Oct./18 Answers you rec'd should be sufficient.
Is this the return of our old yet unlamented friend Jon Bailey?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 pm

No, just someone fighting city hall who needs to talk about it. Freealfin is most welcome here , but not the old personal topic.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett