Tips or advice first nbha puppy trial

bamanicksbd

Tips or advice first nbha puppy trial

Post by bamanicksbd » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:27 am

Im entering my 6 mo old setter in an upcoming nbha trial in the puppy division. Im not familiar with nbha and have only limited experience with field trials. Anyone have any tips or advice for a first timer??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Tips or advice first nbha puppy trial

Post by shags » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:32 am

Attend a trial and see what's expected.

If you can't attend one before the one you entered, at least get there early enough to watch the puppies that have a turn before you.

Check the organization's website and read through the stake requirements, and look for some vids on youtube.

Call the event contact and ask what's expected.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:59 am

Shags is dead on! Here are the rules:
https://www.nbhadog.org/bylaws.php

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I have talked with the local contact and also went over the rules etc. Will definitely get there early and hope to get a later draw. The contact told me they had 7 or 8 other puppies signed up. I know mine will be on the younger end but he had been abke to get out and run since about 12 weeks and he is pretty bold and gets out front well. He has more handle than most Ive seen at this age so i think he will enjoy it. Ill post info pics and results regardless and learn and grow from it.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Well, good luck to you. And remember, having fun with your pup is all that counts.

Remember to have fun. Puppy stakes are the bomb.

Have fun!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:09 am

Bam, I appreciate your enthusiasm and completely understand the passion to run your pup.
I never ran puppy stakes later in my trialing life once I became more experienced. The reason is that it prolongs development while dictating alternate unpalatable processes simply because it gives the pup conflicting information. Typically, these events are run on quail/chukars - pen-raised birds. So, a more-mature pup or a very fast young one ends up catching a number of these dog-destroying birds. If you run enough puppy stakes with a young pup, you have a problem from the get-go....one YOU created.
I always started out in Derby stakes. Further-to-this, my derbies were broke dogs. Keeping things simple especially where dogs are concerned is never a bad choice ie. "Being steady is rewarding for your dog". Further-to-this, if your broke derby's brace-mate doesn't back or is less-than steady, you're probably looking at a placement, if not a win. :wink:
I've witnessed everything from pups fighting over a bird to pups ingesting quails whole at trials! And then you want that same dog to point reliably steady and retrieve gently to hand?!? Just visualize the training process to achieve that....if you do get reliability....ever?!?
And yes, I have won Derby Dog of the Year trialing locally, more than once. 8)
Trust me, pups turn into old dogs too fast as it is, especially the great ones. Enjoy the developmental journey knowing you've done right by your prospect. Also remember to thank God that you are able and for this gift of a new pup in your life.

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I was also concerned about catching pen raised birds. My understanding is that nbha does not put out birds for puppy stakes. Its based on how well the dog gets out front and hunts etc. At this point I wouldnt run him if they were putting out pen raised birds. Ive been running him as much as possible 3 4 times a week in places that used to hold wild birds. He has found one wild covey and did well.