Welcoming Home A New Puppy

Mackenzie

Welcoming Home A New Puppy

Post by Mackenzie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi, I’m really looking forward to May 11th when we pick up our new puppy GSP. I’ve read that the first few days a puppy lands at their new home is very important that they enjoy it and are excited to be there. I’m definitely going to do my best to follow through on that. I’m looking for some advice on some recommendations on things to buy ahead of time. This list can include anything you can think of from toys, beds, crates, treats and so on. Maybe your dog has a favorite something that he or she really loves that you could suggest. If you have links of some of the things you suggest feel free to leave them.

This will be our second GSP. Sadly to say we had to put Xena down two years ago a week before Christmas. She was almost fifteen and was an EXCELLENT DOG. As many of you know to say it was tough putting her down is a huge understatement. We are in a good place now and ready for the new puppy. It’s been around seventeen years now since we last had this great experience so it’s kind of hard remembering back that far to be honest with you all things that we did. So I’m all ears on any advice. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Welcoming Home A New Puppy

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm

#1 crate only big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around in. You may want to buy one of those that have a divider in it so you can adjust the divider as the pup grows.

#2 bedding that is cheap and easily washed as pup will mess in his bed for a bit

" I’ve read that the first few days a puppy lands at their new home is very important that they enjoy it and are excited to be there. " quote OP

Sure this is important as pup will miss its litter mates and Mom, but also important that pup learns right away that you are in charge.

Key to a happy , tolerable in the home GSP is EXERCISE. Even if you have to get up up at 6am , get that pup out for a quick walk ( and run as he ages) . Can't be crated from 8-6 etc. Try to find someone to come in at lunch and take pup for a walk.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Welcoming Home A New Puppy

Post by polmaise » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Sounds like you done a great job on the first one. I am sure your memory will return and hopefully do the same. No guarantee the second one will be the same however,no matter what things you buy.