Shooting around puppies

Flashorthair

Shooting around puppies

Post by Flashorthair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm

This maybe overstating the obvious but I read more and more posts of people selling puppies that state they will have been introduced to birds and shot over before they leave. Or one that said that they begin ear conditioning with a 22 at 4 weeks old. Are these people really shooting around a 4 to 6 week old puppy.... Who ever thought this was a good idea? It has nothing to do with good or bad breeding, just I'll advised. Cruise around online and look at the litters for sale that say something like this. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Shooting around puppies

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Introducing pup at 7+ weeks or so to different noises ( trucks, children having fun etc... ) is a good idea.
Introducing to any kind of gun fire sounds like a horror story. This should only be done in conjunction with bird activity, at a later age.

FYI A .22 has a sharper sound than a shot gun.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:31 pm

I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't consider it a plus for any pup I considered buying.

When we bring pups home they are exposed to all the every day household noises like vacuum cleaners and hammering nails, but not extra stuff like banging pots and pans or hand clapping while they eat and that sort of thing. We do gun intro when they're big enough to chase hard flying pigeons.

Never had one turn out to gun shy or freaked out by noises.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm

I agree with Sharon. I would not call it a horror, but I want the puppies to associate guns with birds and I don't waste birds on 6 week old puppies.
When I first started breeding I did noise conditioning. Which included a blank pistol fired nearby before feeding. I think it did little or no good so I quit. Unfortunately we never removed the statement from about 15 years ago from our website. A buyer from a litter early this year asked me if we did that. When I told him no and that I thought it was the wrong thing to do. He pointed out the fact that is says on my web site we do. That was awkward...….Cj

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

I just think some people will put anything down to make it sound like they have some sort of program they use. It's like looking at a post about how both dogs are used for guiding but the only pictures they have is of the dogs laying on the couch...

uplandave

Post by uplandave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Here’s a thought I had the other day concerning this very subject. What if a person was to have some YouTube videos of someone shooting playing in the background while playing fetch with a puppy? Would that at least somewhat condition the pup to ignore the noise and get a little head start on training? Just an idea. I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks, Dave

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 am

I believe that in the process of introducing the gun there are two fundamental dynamics. Only one is actually about audibility. The other aspect which is just as important if not more-so, is the positive association with birds. I think Sharon has it spot on: Gun intro = birds + gun fire. If you don't have both, your odds for creating a problem climb exponentially. Logically, your dog has to have been introduced to birds first, right?
I believe that we underestimate the ability of young pups however having been introduced to birds first then gunfire at just 4 weeks is VERY risky!!! Done ANY other way (birds then gun) and luck becomes a major player. Remember the intent. It isn't about how well your dog can hear (I hope!). It's about the association/meaning of a gunshot, in my mind.