Despite my username... I'm getting a setter

WielandGSP

Despite my username... I'm getting a setter

Post by WielandGSP » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Well, title says it all. Always been a German dog guy (and still am) but I got a soft spot for good hunting dogs in need of a good hunting home. Adopting this nice, not-quite-3-year-old setter next week. Comes from hunting lines but has not been hunted or really even trained for that matter. Gonna be a fun/interesting summer project. Different than training my German knuckleheads for sure. Different style/approach. I'm beyond excited to have her join the "pack." Vet who is handling her adoption thinks she's about 8 to 10 pounds overweight and needs a trim. I tend to agree. Can't believe I'm saying the words, but yep, I'm getting a setter.

Garrison

Re: Despite my username... I'm getting a setter

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:35 am

Congrats on finally getting a pretty dog! :D Setters are great, but I may be just a little biased. Good on you for taking on the project. I did the exact opposite, I had setters and some how, well not really sure what happened, but ended up taking on a GSP that was in need. He came with some serious built in baggage courtesy of his previous life and we were the last stop, it took a lot of effort, head scratching, frustration and eventually pure joy to figure each other out, but we are both much better for it. As you will soon find out, giving a dog a second lease on the life they should of had is truly a rewarding experience, enjoy.

Garrison

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 am

Nice ! To both you folks . I have had shorthairs and have always said I would like to get a setter however the further shorthairs become in my rear view mirror the more I miss having one around. That said I would love to rescue a setter as you have done. Good things to come for you my friend . Good stuff !

WielandGSP

Post by WielandGSP » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 am

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited for this dog. I'm lucky to have her. I see this situation as more of an adoption/rescue than a rescue. She's got a good home right now and holds down the couch. But she isn't getting used for what she was bred for at all. I rescued a 12 year old wirehair about 4 years ago. Guy was a total POS and decided since she couldn't hunt like she once did, that he was going to give his 12 year old dog away. That was a rescue. I gave her a few more years of chasing wild birds (she could only do about a half day hunting then was done for a several days) but we had fun together).

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 am

You both will be better for it. She is a Looker. Expect she will be beautiful on birds.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:05 am

Congrats! Best wishes for a great partnership.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 am

You're movin'-on-up! Congrats Sir.

mask

Post by mask » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am

This is great news for you both. In Idaho the setter rescue is maxed out and can't take anymore, at least in this area. Your new prospect looks like a dandy.

WielandGSP

Post by WielandGSP » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks, I live up in North Idaho, but actually driving down to Oregon to go pick her up.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 am

8 to 10 pounds over weight? Somehow I doubt that. That's a lot f weight and really shows. Dog in the photo looks pretty good.keep in mind that the setter's, most of them, are a lot softer than shorthairs! I'm guessing Holly put this together?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

I thought that too Don. Doesn't look overweight to me either.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Maybe 3lbs in hair. :D

WielandGSP

Post by WielandGSP » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Yeah Don, Holly is the one who told me about the dog and I jumped on the opportunity. You guys could be right about the weight I didn't think she looked overweight in the pic but the vet thought she was. Who knows. I'll have to see when I pick her up.

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 am

Beautiful baby. I’m sure our Nick would like to meet her. He’s always looking for girlfriends lol.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WielandGSP

Post by WielandGSP » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm

bama Nick is a good looking dog, but he might have competition with my shorthair, Rowdy. Rowdy loves the ladies (even though this one is spayed).