Long shot, but need birds in Iowa

speng5

Long shot, but need birds in Iowa

Post by speng5 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 am

No, not the wild kind (although we need them dearly!)

I am looking for somewhere in Iowa or perhaps western IL (quad cities would be about as far as I'd wanna go) to get some pigeons. South east Iowa preferred, or anywhere along the Mississippi up to Dubuque or south to Ft Madison.

Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Long shot, but need birds in Iowa

Post by shags » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 am

Not familiar with the area you are in, but suggest looking for Amish or Mennonite livestock auctions. Around here, besides beef, horses, and pigs, Amish bring small stock including pigeons. Sometimes those are sold flea market style rather than going under the gavel.

You might have better luck pricewise with places farther from cities. Here, prices can be driven up pretty far if some ethnic chefs want birds as badly ad I do.

If you are near an Amish community, you might stop by some farms and see if you can pay kids to catch barn pigeons for you.

speng5

Post by speng5 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I do in fact live about 10 min away from an Amish Settlement. I have been to their auctions before and far as i know it has always just been livestock of the mammalian variety. But you may be onto something about paying for their barn pigeons. I will try door knocking this weekend. Should be great weather for a drive.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am

I googled Craigslist for your area in the Farm and Garden section for Pigeons. Numerous ads for homers with the lowest shown price of $10. Also found this ad, I would give this guy a call as I expect he sells the feral pigeons he traps.

https://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/d/t ... 05055.html

speng5

Post by speng5 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am

I saw that ad too but unfortunately he posted in the wrong locale. It says western IL (rockford) but the guy is actually from Sioux City, which is over 4 hours away from me. :(

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am

I also live near an Amish community outside of Dover, DE.

For several years I had an arrangement with a local Amish farmer(actually his youngest son until he moved away, and later with his older brother who stayed to work the farm).

I paid $2( and later, increased eventually to $3) each for barn pigeons that they caught on the farm and kept there, which was about 8 miles from my place. When I used them, most returned to the farm, to be re-caught and re-used.

I was absolutely fine with the arrangement because I didn't have to deal with the pigeons for more than a few days at a time...no coop, no mess, no pigeons flying about driving the dogs batty.

You might look to develop the same sort of relationship with one of your Amish neighbors.

There is also a farmer's auction nearby where the usually have barn pigeons for sale. The going price hereabouts varies, but I can usually buy a half dozen or so for $3-6 each.

RayG

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 pm

speng5 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am
I saw that ad too but unfortunately he posted in the wrong locale. It says western IL (rockford) but the guy is actually from Sioux City, which is over 4 hours away from me. :(
He traps birds in your area.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm

averageguy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am
I googled Craigslist for your area in the Farm and Garden section for Pigeons. Numerous ads for homers with the lowest shown price of $10. Also found this ad, I would give this guy a call as I expect he sells the feral pigeons he traps.

Wow . $10.00.... I go to our local auction and the highest price is about $2.00

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm
averageguy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am

Wow . $10.00.... I go to our local auction and the highest price is about $2.00
$10 was for Homers. Going rate for ferals is $4-6.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Ah.. Got it. Thanks.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 pm

You can also look for nuisance trappers in the cities. They'll typically sell them pretty cheap.