outside kennel arrangement for old inside dogs

jczv

outside kennel arrangement for old inside dogs

Post by jczv » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 am

I have a 13 and a 14 year old Vizslas who have been either crated or loose in the house the majority of there lives (the first 10-11 years primarily crated but the last couple of years they were only alone for 3-4 hours at most). Due to some changing life circumstances they now will be alone 10-11 hours a day again. Due to there age I don't think it is fair to try to crate them anymore as they need to go to the bathroom more often so trying to determine the best kennel arrangement.

Wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what arrangements worked for them.

Options I'm considering
  • Covered kennel with dog house - not sure what type of dog house they would get used to easiest?
  • Outside kennel tied to kennel in the garage with doghouse inside - I'd need to ventilate the garage but at least they'd be more protected in winter and during storms
  • Outside kennel and dog house into the basement - I have a partially exposed basement and could build something through a window or the wall so they could sleep inside (it would be much more temperature controlled) but get outside to go to the bathroom.
Just looking for ideas if I've missed something or if somebody has an arrangement that's worked they'd like to share

thanks

Garrison

Re: outside kennel arrangement for old inside dogs

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am

Sounds like you have some good ideas already. At my previous house I had a shaded run attached to a garage and really liked it. I have a GSP that can get himself pretty worked up if he hears my diesel (hunting rig) fire up or there is some thunder. Being inside the garage seemed to help, I guess he feels he is in the house. It was also nice for me when it can time to feed and water. My main concern when they get older is temperature extremes, where I live summer heat. Anything you can do to make them more comfortable in their old age is probably well deserved.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

Some "inside" ideas...

I've left my oldies in the house on vinyl flooring ( kitchen), and expected to go through lots of paper towels.

My daughter lives way more suburban and hires a dog walker to come by in the middle of the day. Maybe about $12 a day.

My sister installed a dog door so her dog can go in and out from the house to the fenced yard any time he wants.

Other than that, I would consider something like you mention with indoor/outdoor access into the basement or garage. That way is more "indoors" to your oldies and might not stress them out as much as outside dog houses. If they don't chew, maybe heated pads in the dog houses? A friend had to start keeping her old dog out of the house, and made him a place in the garage and used a heat lamp a few feet over the dog bed.

Good luck, it sounds like you're looking out for your old guys.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

I think the third option would be the easiest on the dogs (Basement and in-out arrangement.) Can the whole yard be fenced?

mm

Post by mm » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 am

I have Scott kennel attached to building with house inside. I use hound heater in winter and have had them for several years. I like them best for heat.
mm

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:12 am

This is a photo of my current setup. There is a metal ceiling fan above to move air in the summer and I put up a windbreak of straw bales on the north and west sides in the winter. There is an electrical outlet for running a heated water bowl on the wall. My dog houses are set inside that insulated Machine shed which stays 45 degrees in the coldest of outside temps. I use Deer Creek dogs houses which have a tunnel and swinging door entrance to a nest box which keeps wind draft to zero. The divider is removed in the summer. The roof keeps the snow and rain off and provides shade. In the peak of the summer I zip tie some shade screen on the east and south sides of the kennel.

My dogs come inside the house with us for several hours each day when we are at home. I like the setup as the dogs get socialization but are safe and secure when we are not in the house and are well acclimated to our weather with a denser or thinner undercoat in all seasons.

Novice123

Post by Novice123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 am

Does the Hound Heater work for a single dog house of dimensions 36 inches X 24 inches? In other words, can I install it and use it successfully in that context? My dog house is made of wood and has double walls to provide an inner layer of foam insulation between sheets of plywood.

mm

Post by mm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:04 am

I use Hound heater in indoor compartments about that size. There is a thermostsat on the hound heater and it mounts on the wall. It keeps the box warm but not hot. The dogs will stay outside if it is to warm. Once I found the temp they like they stay inside.
mm