Jones dog trailers, what is your experience?

SCT

Jones dog trailers, what is your experience?

Post by SCT » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm considering buying a dog trailer and have heard of certain problems, but what about the top of the line trailers like the Jones models?

Any experiences good or bad? Going to travel with 6 dogs for up to two months. Thanks for any info.

Timewise65

Re: Jones dog trailers, what is your experience?

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 am

I purchased a four dog Ainley Trailer from a guy in Texas in 2014, he was the original owner. I am not sure what year it is, but it was in very good condition. It had a fan, and spare tire included. It did not have a built-in water container. I had three Golden Retrievers that I ran in hunt tests and hunted waterfowl and upland birds. This trailer was perfect for us! We live in the Kansas City area, but I have traveled to Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. etc.

For waterfowl hunting this trailer is great, as it is not to warm out, so I never had to worry about overheating. Regardless of how cold it was, the dogs did well in the trailer. After a hunt, I would close all the door vent, leave the fan off, and they would do fine.

In the Spring, Summer, and Fall, I was always careful, if the temp is climbing up over 80 degrees, I used a Garmin remote temperature reader, so while driving I knew what the interior temperature was. Generally, was not a problem, depending on the heat and time of the drive. If I knew it was going to be hot and humid, I would put two or three ice blocks in plastic bags in my spare dog space. That would keep them cool in the kennel for 5-6hours on a hot day. If it was over 90, I would not travel with them using the trailer.

I think these trailers are a wonderful option, if you can afford one.... you will not regret it!

SCT

Re: Jones dog trailers, what is your experience?

Post by SCT » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks for the input.