Worried I picked the wallflower pup

goalie805

Worried I picked the wallflower pup

Post by goalie805 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Hey everyone looking for some advice/guidance from those more experienced than me. We are getting a puppy from the litter that a friends female had. The parents are both field tested hunt certified, hips checked etc. He asked us to pick earlier than I would have liked so we didn't get to see the puppies personalities so much when we picked, and I think we ended up with the "wallflower". The pups are now almost 6 weeks old and personalities are starting to show.
The puppy is always happy, constantly wagging its tail (a lot more that the others it seems) but while the others run and play when taken out she is much less outgoing it seems. She will hang in the same area more than the others and isn't as adventurous. The others will be running all over the room and she'll play some after a little while but seems more hesitant. Also, she will kind of duck or flinch a little if there's a loud noise like a sneeze or a cough, and the others don't. She goes right back to what shes doing afterward but seems to startle easier than the others.
What are your experiences with pups like this? Is it something that can be easily overcome? We like her markings the best, and she is sweet and gentle. But I do intend on hunting with her, so that's important too.I could probably switch her with another. as there are still a few others available. I've had experience training a couple other dogs so I'm not totally new, although this is my first pointing breed. What would be your advice?
Last edited by goalie805 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Worried I picked the wallflower pup

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:17 pm

goalie805 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Hey everyone looking for some advice/guidance from those more experienced than me. We were given second pick of a litter of GSP puppies that a friends female had. The parents are both field tested hunt certified, hips checked etc. Basically we are being given a pup for watching his dog for the past several years whenever they went on vacation. He asked us to pick earlier than I would have liked so we didn't get to see the puppies personalities so much when we picked, and I think we ended up with the "wallflower" which I have always heard to avoid. The pups are now almost 6 weeks old and personalities are starting to show.
The puppy is always happy, constantly wagging its tail (a lot more that the others it seems) but while the others run and play when taken out she is much less outgoing it seems. She will hang in the same area more than the others and isn't as adventurous. The others will be running all over the room and she'll play some after a little while but seems more hesitant. Also, she will kind of duck or flinch a little if there's a loud noise like a sneeze or a cough, and the others don't. She goes right back to what shes doing afterward but seems to startle easier than the others.
What are your experiences with pups like this? Is it something that can be easily overcome? We like her markings the best, and she is sweet and gentle. But I do intend on hunting with her, so that's important too.I could probably switch her with another. as there are still a few others available. I've had experience training a couple other dogs so I'm not totally new, although this is my first pointing breed. What would be your advice?

You say you can switch her for another - I would based on the highlighted comments .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Until I read the part of your post that Sharon underlined I had been going to say to stick with your pup. I've had one or two shy pups that developed into good gundogs ….but the bit Sharon underlined got me worried. Like Sharon I'd probably play safe and take one of the other pups.

Bill T.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Well those pups are SIX WEEKS OLD not six months. Any picking you do, have done, will do...is a crapshoot. If it was a sure thing we all would be writing about our world beaters here, right?

Stick with you pick for now but ask the breeder to keep an eye on her until other buyers start to choose, so you'll know to jump in if your pup doesn't come to where you like her more.

But I can tell you, I've picked the bold one and have regretted it; picked the bold one and it all went great. I've picked from the middle of the pack boldness-wise and again, some worked put great and others didn't for one reason or another. I have a ten year old the was the last one left in the litter when my turn to 'pick' came, and I didn't like him one bit...he was kind of nervous, seemed like a worry wart, and was the most tentative of any dog I ever had. But that little guy turned out to be my Best Dog Ever, bold as brass in the field with all the heart anyone could ever ask for, but very sweet and companionable at home.

It's a crapshoot.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 am

I would absolutely stay away from the dominate pup. Depending on the breeding they can turn into a handful for a novice trainer. I ended up with the last pick on a high powered litter and she was the dominate female. I've had my hands full with her. Haven't decided if she is the worst or best dog I've ever had that is still up in the air.
It would be good to consider the breeding. If it's a real highpower litter that pup will probably be fine. Even the most reserved pups from that kind of a litter is more than enough dog. If the litter is from close working calm dogs I would change picks. It's all relative to what kind of a breeding it is.
Shags pretty much nailed it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 am

At that age I wouldn't worry to much, it's a 6 week old puppy! People go out of their way to evaluate litter's of puppy's but for me it's a waste of time. I see a puppy I like and that's pretty much it! tween 6 wks and say 12 wks and 20 wks your gonna see changes!

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:05 am

One of the most important things to me is to have the pup..."pick ME".

I tend to pick the boldest, baddest pup in he litter because I am looking for the one most likely to be competitive in field trials. But that is just me. If that is not what you are looking for, then the boldest, most independent pup in the litter might not be the best choice for you.

No matter what, though, a pup that wants to be with you and comes back to you will probably be fun to be around and more willing to please when it comes to training. If that pup you picked is indeed the "wallflower" pup, and avoids its littermates and you, then I would be concerned. If however, that "wallflower" pup comes to you and wants to be with you and you can bring out what is locked up inside that little mind...you might just have a very special flower.

I have been on all sides of this one over the years. As has been said...it is a crapshoot.

One thing I have found consistently is this: Hard hunting dogs have hard hunters for owners.

Whenever I see a hard hunting dog in the field...one that catches my attention by how hard it is hunting.... it is invariably followed up by a "hard hunting" hunter. Never seen that one to fail. Sooo, if you are willing to put in the time and shoeleather, I believe most dogs will respond in kind.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 am

At 6 weeks the puppies have only been running around for a short while. From your situation It seems like you are near the litter, so you could visit often. Go and observe a few more times. If she has issues with not running and playing I would be concerned. Most really young puppies are uncomfortable with the scent of strangers and will act a little cool toward them. A young puppy being startled by a sudden noise from a stranger is not a real issue.
Shags is pretty much right on.
If the breeder has some input listen to him. ...…..Cj

goalie805

Post by goalie805 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks for the imput, you guys are awesome! :D I would not mind a little more laid back dog, especially a gsp :D I'll observe a little more and go from there. If anyone else has any tips or advice on what to watch for it is welcome!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Excellent posts as usual, but many breeders relinquish their pups at 7 weeks. Is one more week going to make a big difference in what you are seeing now?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:40 pm

goalie805 wrote:Hey everyone looking for some advice/guidance from those more experienced than me. We are getting a puppy from the litter that a friends female had. The parents are both field tested hunt certified, hips checked etc. He asked us to pick earlier than I would have liked so we didn't get to see the puppies personalities so much when we picked, and I think we ended up with the "wallflower". The pups are now almost 6 weeks old and personalities are starting to show.
Don't try to judge a pups personality at 6 weeks old. An old wise dog man "Delmar Smith" once said "let everyone have their pick and I will take whats left and make a field Champion out of it." Its 40% breeding and 60% environment. How you raise and train the pup will have a larger bearing on how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 am

Sharon wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Excellent posts as usual, but many breeders relinquish their pups at 7 weeks. Is one more week going to make a big difference in what you are seeing now?
Sharon, I know this has been discussed before; but , I think from a social aspect of the pup, I personally think leaving the pup with mom the extra week or even two will show more. :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:36 am

The change in a puppy from 6 weeks to 8 weeks is dramatic. That old thing about 49 days is pure crap. I like to keep mine until 10 weeks, start crate training and second round of shots. I don't think they get a lot from the mother after seven weeks in fact I separate them but they get a lot from the litter mates and the people that take care of them.
I personally think the emotional shock of being yank from their litter mates and being overwhelm by strangers is quite a shock and gets a lot of puppies started wrong....Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:32 pm

cjhills wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:36 am
The change in a puppy from 6 weeks to 8 weeks is dramatic. That old thing about 49 days is pure crap. I like to keep mine until 10 weeks, start crate training and second round of shots. I don't think they get a lot from the mother after seven weeks in fact I separate them but they get a lot from the litter mates and the people that take care of them.
I personally think the emotional shock of being yank from their litter mates and being overwhelm by strangers is quite a shock and gets a lot of puppies started wrong....Cj

You're much more experienced than I, so I'm going with what you've said and considered it a lesson learned. ( I've had many dogs , but not many pups.)

ps I underlined the sentence in Mr Hills' post.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Goalie805, the pup could turn out awesome. Then again, those concerns in the back of your mind may start to come to fruition. 15 or so years is a long time to pay for a mistake. Here is the thing. MOST breeders want those eating/crapping/urinating machines out of their house ASAP. That's the hard core fact at the base of how soon many breeders home pups. If CJ is right, and I'm not disputing him, then I'd definitely ask to wait before picking. In the interim, if someone else picks the pup you had selected, it was not meant for you.
In line with what Sharon offered early on, if "I" was picking a pup from this litter I would most assuredly not START with a pup I was concerned about - not even remotely concerned.
We only have control over certain things in our lives. Let's make the smart choices when we do have the opportunities. If you're not sure, and there is not doubt from this post in my mind, then it's time to revisit the options, while you still can.
Food bills, vet costs, etc. are the same for a good dog as a crap dog.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:08 am

Sharon wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:32 pm
cjhills wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:36 am

You're much more experienced than I, so I'm going with what you've said and considered it a lesson learned. ( I've had many dogs , but not many pups.)

ps I underlined the sentence in Mr Hills' post.
I agree, but I'll say that if you don't do your part from weeks 6 or 7 or 8 or 10 through week 51 it doesn't much matter.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Pup will probably end up being the hardest headed, most outgoing of the bunch. Of course, that is just based on one experience I had :-)

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm fine with a young pup that likes to stay close by. There's nothing wrong with a dog that wants to work with you. The flinching at loud noises would bother me.

One of the tests for a litter is to go a distance away and drop the lid from a cooking pot. You want the pup that rushed to see what the noise is, not the pup that is scared by it.

I know you need to be careful to not scare pups, but gun dogs should be naturally tolerant of loud bangs. You build up slowly and carefully to gunshot, but the pup should tolerate loud noise at a distance with no problem.