Heat and dogs..

Steve007

Heat and dogs..

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Saw a note on a different board about a guy who took his two dogs and a three-year-old kid hiking in the foothills of California. Temperature was in the 90s. Both dogs died and the kid almost did.

In the city or suburbs, it's worth noting that air temperature is not the same as ground temperature. Air temperature-- especially in the evening-- can be theoretically cool, but if you put your hand on the sidewalk or blacktop, you'll see what the dog has to deal with.

I walk my dog 2 miles a day on concrete sidewalks when the weather allows, but if the evening air temperature is 80, concrete from the much hotter day retains the heat and we don't go. We sometimes practice obedience work in a nearby deserted parking lot, and blacktop can get really hot!

Also worth considering is that direct sun causes dark-colored dogs (like my sainted Gordon Setters) to absorb heat, which can make a big difference.

Heat is a problem and, despite the fact that some people claim they are in shape for it, dogs are not. When in doubt-- and sometimes, when not in doubt-- keep your dogs indoors. Fall will come soon enough.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Heat and dogs..

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm

This has been a concern of mine this week. My old girl( setter) is all of a sudden slobbering when lying in a spot for a while , making a puddle of slobber - not urine. ( She has a fan and lots of water and can go outside into the shade when she wants.) Anybody else ever seen this in high humidity/ heat weather?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Timely reminder, Steve. We're looking at about 97* with high humidity for the next couple of days.

I run my dogs off the 4 wheeler or horseback, and it always seems 'not too bad' from up there. But getting off the mode of transport gives a feel for how hot the ground really gets.

My guys are getting a couple of days off starting tomorrow.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Hey Sharon,

Check her teeth/mouth for lots of tartar or something stuck in there, like an awn or small stick. Does she seem to be nauseated ever? Maybe a little something to hold off the stomach acid can help...just a little kibble or something

If nothing else, I can tell you that my younger dog drools in his sleep too. You oughta see my leather sofa cushion some mornings, and watch your step on the kitchen floor near his spot :x

Edited to add comment

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Since I live in the south and its always hot (or so it seems) I walk them on a forested trail late in the day. Its shaded, dirt ground, and the paths I follow generally follow the river bank so the dogs can avail themselves of the river to cool off. I do that with two black GWP's right now. Long walks too, since one is especially obnoxious when I don't tire her out.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm
This has been a concern of mine this week. My old girl( setter) is all of a sudden slobbering when lying in a spot for a while , making a puddle of slobber - not urine. ( She has a fan and lots of water and can go outside into the shade when she wants.) Anybody else ever seen this in high humidity/ heat weather?
You might want to look up the signs of overheating and also check her gums to make sure the color isn't changing to bright pink. Excessive panting is the first symptom of overheating, followed -- sometimes-- by drooling. Older dogs do not handle heat as well as younger dogs, and, frankly, sometimes they are fuzzy in their minds and don't avail themselves of opportunities to cool down when they should. Don't leave it up to her.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

shags wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm
Hey Sharon,

Check her teeth/mouth for lots of tartar or something stuck in there, like an awn or small stick. Does she seem to be nauseated ever? Maybe a little something to hold off the stomach acid can help...just a little kibble or something

If nothing else, I can tell you that my younger dog drools in his sleep too. You oughta see my leather sofa cushion some mornings, and watch your step on the kitchen floor near his spot :x

Edited to add comment

Thanks . That makes me feel better , and yes I do have to watch where I walk. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:46 am

I'm very lucky to have a trout stream on my property. My Setter rips and dips and rips and dips all day long. We're supposed to get into the mid to upper 90s by tomorrow....we ain't goin' nowhere!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am

If you live in a fairly low humidity area, swimming is a great way to keep a dog cool. Not only is the water a cooler when they are in it, but they also cool from the evaporation as they dry. Swimming also gives them a chance to get some exercise. Dogs will also get some cooling effect in high humidity areas from drying but it isn't as pronounced.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am

fishvik wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am
If you live in a fairly low humidity area, swimming is a great way to keep a dog cool. Not only is the water a cooler when they are in it, but they also cool from the evaporation as they dry. Swimming also gives them a chance to get some exercise. Dogs will also get some cooling effect in high humidity areas from drying but it isn't as pronounced.
And you gotta pay special attention to the ears for in high humidity areas.