Pro trainers

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Pro trainers

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:28 pm

How is this hot weather affecting your training plans for the Fall hunt/business?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Pro trainers

Post by shags » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:03 am

Not a pro myself, but the ones I know road dogs early ( early, early, like before light), then get in some birdwork before the sun is high in the sky. They take advantage of every cool day that comes along. A couple of the trainers use the shade on the side of the building, or have inside space, for barrel work and trained retrieve table.

Then they spend the rest of the day grooming their grounds, making repairs, building new johnny houses, and apparently for the guys, pulling their hair out :D

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 am

My trainer in Colorado has just arrived at his summer camp in western North Dakota.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:50 pm

It’s always hot in the summer. Just work early and late.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:55 am

This spring was devastating - rain, rain followed by more rain. Fields were flooded so available training venues were very restricted. Dogs get environmentally keen so....not good either. This was followed by a few days of seasonable weather before we got high heat with humidity. The heat is bearable but when you throw in the humidity, the dogs (and mature trainers) really feel it. Temps like 90 but with the humidity 113 degrees with little time for acclimation. Today is another scorcher but tomorrow will be hotter again - 89 degrees however because of humidity more like 100. Not typical for around here.
I too train early in the morning and late in the evening. Still, out of respect for the landowners, I don't like shooting my shotgun off at 6:30 in the morning just out of respect. Not all are actively farming so...
Oh, did I forget to mention the soaring tick population here - no doubt, weather fortified.
I don't work with the number of dogs I used to. I'm cutting WAY back. Might have to cut back even more or simply shut 'er down completely. :cry:
The fall and early winter is my time to wild bird hunt with my dogs so.....it is what it is.
Yes Shags...I've pulled some hair out of my own! Actually....a lot of hair......