Combining Dogtra Pathfinder and DT RAPT 1450

MikeStaten

Combining Dogtra Pathfinder and DT RAPT 1450

Post by MikeStaten » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:37 am

Getting my first pointer (Deutsch Kurzhaar) in a few weeks. Thinking of getting both the Dogtra Pathfinder and the RAPT 1450. Reason for both is that I like the idea of the tracking features of the Dogtra and the simplicity of the RAPT. Would use the RAPT 1450 for training and open field use for pheasants and use the Dogtra more when the dog is fully trained and hunting thicker areas for grouse and woodcock. The Garmin Alpha or 550 Pro Plus are also considerations but I feel as stand alones, the Alpha wouldn't be great for training phase due to the complexity and 550 Pro Plus does not have mapping. From a cost perspective, Dogtra and RAPT would total $679 which is a little more than the 550 and less than the Alpha. In an ideal world, I would be able to get a separate and simple controller for the Pathfinder for training but I don't think that is possible.

I'm new to this so would appreciate any advice on this. Basically, I'm looking for a fairly simple training collar but also GPS mapping features.

Thank you,
Mike

nevermind

Re: Combining Dogtra Pathfinder and DT RAPT 1450

Post by nevermind » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:51 am

Have you looked at the Dogtra combo collar? if you want a separate training collar. I would go with the dogtra combo... around the same price as the DT Rapt, but the dogtra has a tone feature that I like to use for recall of my dog instead of yelling here or blowing a whistle. Only draw back on the combo I see it's a single dog use. Your pathfinder will have the tone feature also. I do have a pathfinder and have other dogtra collars... they are durable collars. My 2 cents and have a great time with your new pup!