New Pup

powbass@gmail.com

New Pup

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Here"s my story. The GWP that I had,was cert as a stud, and in Jan I returned him ( 4yrs old) to the breeder in SoDak. I went to look at the first litter (11)
in May, wouldn"t you know, I came back with a female pup. I chose a female thinking she would be a bit softer, was I wrong, so I named her Jezabelle'.
I just turned 89 and she is really a handful. I might have to resort to old school training (using a crop) she is now 5 months old, I don't know how much
longer my arms are going to hold up (bloody) to hot to wear a leather jacket. Moved To AZ 2 years ago Prescott
PS going to have her spayed next week.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: New Pup

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:38 am

You probably should resort to hiring a trainer.
As I have learned the time comes for all of us when we need to admit we can't do some of the things we used to do.
You are headed straight for disaster for yourself, the dog or both.
If you can't handle the dog without a crop at five months, how do you expect to handle her as an adult? Especially a GWP from tough bloodlines.
Nothing good will come of this situation, For you or the dog......Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:04 am

Take the dog to a trainer for field work. Resorting to old school methods will very tough on you physically and probably not very effective on the dog if you don't have the strength, agility, and endurance to implement it.

You can do some work with the dog indoors, assuming she's a housedog. Basic good house manners might be doable for you, things like "Go lie down" and waiting nicely for her food pan, not bolting from the door, etc, will give you more authority over her which could translate to better behavior outdoors.

Do you have anyone close by who could exercise your dog for you? Maybe a runner who could take her with, or an older kid who could walk her? IME expending that puppy energy goes a long way in helping with behavior issues.

Good luck going forward.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 am

2X what Shags recommended. Also, I would hold off spaying this young girl until she is at least 20 months old.
If you think it will "settle her down" to any degree, you are being misled.