Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

BuckeyeSteve

Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:17 am

Has anyone had any experience with the new Fi Collar? I've gotten a couple pop-up ads on my phone recently, and just looked up their website. It's a $149 collar that supposedly goes 3 months b/n recharges and can be used from your phone for tracking fido. The pics they show look like google earth images in urban areas -- which is definitely not where I'm worried about losing my dog.

I recently had a neighbor ask me to stop running my dog with his bell on (on our daily exercise runs), so I'm looking for a backup way of tracking him for that once every 300 runs where he decides to get adventurous and go exploring. Without my bell, it's stressful every time I lose sight of him for a minute because I can't tell if he's close or on a hard run over the next hillside. I'm hoping this is something that could give me a safety net without going to the expense of a Alpha 100.

If anyone has any experience or first/second hand knowledge of these, I'd appreciate the insight.

mtlhdr

Re: Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 am

Interesting. Looks like you need cell coverage and an annual subscription for it to work. Might get a couple of these and strap them to my kids when they get a little older...

In all seriousness, I've never heard a single person regret purchasing a GPS collar. They're definitely expensive, but the extra little peace of mind when out hunting or running the dog off leash is almost priceless, at least to me. I've been running the same Astro 320 and DC40 collar for 6+ years and have been super happy with it. Used ones pop up on these dog forums fairly regularly.