GWP Travel with pup

AndersonSkiTeam

GWP Travel with pup

Post by AndersonSkiTeam » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

I just had a litter of GWP pups and they are all sold. One of the new owners though is wondering if they can fly and pick up the pup and fly back with the pup in one of those soft travel carriers on the plane (not cargo). The size is Length 16" Width 10" and height 8.5".

The flight is only 2 hours long. Any ideas if an 8 week old GWP will fit in this type of carrier.

Thanks in advance.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: GWP Travel with pup

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 am

It has to fit under the seat. I would think the pup would fit. My buyers do that a lot. they can get the pup at a younger age...….Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am

Better to check with the airline of choice for their rules. For instance, United requires dogs to be 16 weeks old to fly in the cabin.

I used to do airport runs for a local kennel, and there were frequent snafus with shipping dogs. Sometimes a dog crate would be approved for the trip here, but the same dog in the same carrier wouldn't be approved to fly back home from this end. Your puppy buyer should be very specific with his questions, and get the answers in writing.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:25 am

Typically yes. I did it with a 12 week old GWP pup on American Airlines.

An 8 week old should be fine. The dog needs a USDA cert from a vet and maybe something from the airline. Fee is roughly $125 to carry on the dog.

I had another pup where he didn't fit in the carrier at 12 weeks. But, the breeder had nicknamed him "Big Boy" for a reason; he was a meatball. Take the dog into Petsmart if you can and try and stick him in the carriers they have. Ask about the soft-sided travel carriers and they'll direct you.