dog kennels

dog dr

dog kennels

Post by dog dr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 am

We are in the process of building a new place for the dogs, and are looking at welded wire kennels. What company has the best for the money?? What are your experiences?? Looked at Preifert first, but have found a couple other options that LOOK comparable. Mostly want something thats gonna last, not rust out in a few years. They will be set on concrete under a roof. Anybody use the Tarter kennels?? Any advice you guys can give me would be great. Thanks

birddogger2

Re: dog kennels

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

On my kennels, which frames are made from round pipe, I paint the cut bottoms with zinc spray or Rustoleum and put female/female schedule 40 PVC fittings on the legs that contact the concrete. No continuous contact with urine and other moisture, no exposed raw metal...no rust.
The tubes have tops to keep rain out and the fittings have a small hole drilled in the bottom to allow for drainage. On the last unit I had made, I had them cut the feet so that only about 1 1/2 " extended below the fence mesh and lower horizontal tube because the fitting added about 1/1/4" of height to the panel. This way anything bigger than a tiny puppy won't be able to sneak out under the bottom rail.

If you go with welded wire panels, I think you can find or fabricate something to keep the square leg ends off the surface and out of contact with moisture. It will add years to the life of your kennels. Guaranteed.

RayG

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 am

Ray, I love the PVC idea!! I built mine MANY years ago but I used industrial pipes and chain link fence. I'd hate to have to replace it today!
Never thought of protecting the base with PVC. Thanks for that.

Brantbeagle

Post by Brantbeagle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:23 pm

I have Priefets staring to rust but they are 10 years old. Check out TK products looks like nice kennels

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 am

dog dr wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 am
We are in the process of building a new place for the dogs, and are looking at welded wire kennels. What company has the best for the money?? What are your experiences?? Looked at Preifert first, but have found a couple other options that LOOK comparable. Mostly want something thats gonna last, not rust out in a few years. They will be set on concrete under a roof. Anybody use the Tarter kennels?? Any advice you guys can give me would be great. Thanks
I've only had it a few weeks, but I have a used Tartar that's supposedly a few years old, was outside, and hasn't rusted out.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 am

I believe the urine is what causes them to rust. I had a welded wire kennel from Tractor supply that sat outside on a concrete slab. Sat there for 4 or 5 years. Not one bit of rust or sign of rusting. Ive got a male that cocks his leg on the panels, after a year they are covered in surface rust.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 am

Well I built budget kennel's, side walls made with reg 2x4's. Have the 2x4 bottom's held off concrete with all weather wood blocks. Wire is 4x6 sheep pasture fence. Just had the yard fenced and went with 2x4 pasture fence. Don't like welded wire fence, breaks at the joint's to easily.