New Member and gun dog owner

NCbowman

New Member and gun dog owner

Post by NCbowman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Hey y’all, just got my first bird dog this last weekend. He’s a 10 month old GSP. He’s out of my brother’s stock so I’m sure the dog already knows more than I do about hunting birds. I’m originally from Virginia but moved to Raleigh this year. If anyone is in the area feel free to reach out. My dad and brother have both trained dogs for years but I could definitely use a mentor closer if anyone is close and doesn’t mind helping out a noob or at least knows of somewhere local to run him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max2

Re: New Member and gun dog owner

Post by Max2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Nice looking pup ! Love them liver/roans ! Everytime I see a shorthair I feel related. & welcome to the site !

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 am

I hate GSPs, especially liver ones! Why would you live in Raleigh anyway? No one can help you here! And, your dog smells!!
OK....you have officially been endocrined into this holy forum. :lol:
In all seriousness, welcome aboard. There is a wide spectrum of truly savvy members here-in that are more-than-happy to help or in the least offer a plethora of suggestions. I've been developing bird dogs a long time and still pick up a gem here and there. Then again, it's a journey, not a destination.
Some suggestions: Be receptive/open-minded. Think outside of the box. Have a sense of humor. Respectfully ask ANY questions.
Finally...handsome dog! I like his eyes and what they convey - looks very sage for 10 months old. He REALLY wants to please. Make sure you are clear on your expectations and I think he would die trying.
Congrats Sir!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:50 am

Welcome to the forum. :D

I've had a few GSP's …. a terrific breed for a man who likes to hunt. I am sure your pup will do well for you and give you a lot of pleasure.

Bill T.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 am

Welcome to the group. South of you is the Sandhills Pointing Breeds Club. They are in Jackson Springs. They have the grounds and the knowledge to help you out. I would start there. Also if you are interested in the versatile dog thing there is the Tarheel Chapter of NAVHDA in Lillington and the Carolinas Chapter that train in the Sandhills game land.
There is also a NC GSP club, they are a field trial club but I am sure they can get you started. In the central part of the state where you are is where I have found most of the clubs.
I recommend the Sandhills club because they are about the training and testing not the competition and is a great place to get started.
Good luck and much success.

NCbowman

Post by NCbowman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:55 am

Thank to all who have responded and all the compliments on my new pup. I’m not scared to ask question and am humble enough to know that I know very little when it comes to training dogs. Thank you NC Quailhunter- I was reading about the Sandhills area already but I’ll definitely check out some of those other ones!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am

I'll DM you the tarheel chapter's training day and bird order info if you can send me your email. Otherwise you could find it on the facebook page.

There's a lot of good knowledge there. We train an hour south of Raleigh.

Carolinas CHapter alternates between South Carolina and about 30 minutes outside Raleigh.

Both chapters have good knowledge and bring something different to the table IMO.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:19 am

There ya go, club training day in your town. Something to keep in mind as you go, different trainer's have different way's of going about training. Choose one and follow it till you know what your doing. My first GSP had me, a check cord, couple live pigeons and "the Best Way to Train Your Bird Dog-The Delmar smith method x Bill Tarrent. Delmar said, Pay attention to what your training, super advice! If it doesn't make sense to you, why would it to a dog. Might add one more thing to the list of needs, Duct tape. Tare off enough to cover your mouth and keep you quiet. Most of us, even those that know better, talk to out dog just to much in training.

NCbowman

Post by NCbowman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:34 pm

JONOV wrote:I'll DM you the tarheel chapter's training day and bird order info if you can send me your email. Otherwise you could find it on the facebook page.

There's a lot of good knowledge there. We train an hour south of Raleigh.

Carolinas CHapter alternates between South Carolina and about 30 minutes outside Raleigh.

Both chapters have good knowledge and bring something different to the table IMO.

I’d appreciate it! I don’t know how to send a message but my email is devonmcginnis48@yahoo.com

NCbowman

Post by NCbowman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

DonF wrote:There ya go, club training day in your town. Something to keep in mind as you go, different trainer's have different way's of going about training. Choose one and follow it till you know what your doing. My first GSP had me, a check cord, couple live pigeons and "the Best Way to Train Your Bird Dog-The Delmar smith method x Bill Tarrent. Delmar said, Pay attention to what your training, super advice! If it doesn't make sense to you, why would it to a dog. Might add one more thing to the list of needs, Duct tape. Tare off enough to cover your mouth and keep you quiet. Most of us, even those that know better, talk to out dog just to much in training.
As I said, I was fortunate enough to watch my dad train bird dogs and he actually worked quite a bit with Delmar and Rick Smith so I consider myself very blessed to have resources and people I can call.

Unfortunately since we moved I don’t have anyone to watch me and tell me what I’m doing wrong in real time.

I like that duct tape idea... I might have to try that.