BIRD CAMP

Irishwhistler

BIRD CAMP

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm

oKbamt8fSpOfZnKydMOZaw_thumb_a19e_Fotor.jpg
Bird Camp ~ A most special place, seemingly frozen in time. Tired dogs lay sleeping by the wood fire, their legs twitching as if still working birds to the gun. The banter amongst friends recall the highlights o' classic shots made o'er brilliant dog work and the wonder o' the autumn fields we shared on this fine day. The ringing sound o' glasses filled with a fine whiskey and lifted in good cheer assure that stories told and retold will be told yet again. Birds taken are yet to be prepared as a feast for those so blessed to share another season. I reflect on hunts long past, grand times had, fine dogs and beloved gunning Mates now long gone and so deeply missed, treasured days to be certain. Our days spent here are so much more than the pursuit o' game birds with gun and dog, our days in bird camp are where lasting memories are made.

Slainte,
Irishwhistler โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Re: BIRD CAMP

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:08 am

Very nice~

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 am

NEhomer wrote: โ†‘
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:08 am
Very nice~

Thanks much Mate.๐Ÿ‘

Mike โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Irishwhistler wrote: โ†‘
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 am
Very nice~

Thanks much Mate.๐Ÿ‘

Not so elegant but a basic tailgate pic from last Saturday. I won't even try to wax poetic!

....except that I'll note that in the pic above is the 16ga Remington Sportsman that my late father carried. He built a rep as a fine wing shot on it and it's the only shotgun I'll ever toss at an upland bird.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm
Irishwhistler wrote: โ†‘
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 am
Very nice~

Thanks much Mate.๐Ÿ‘

Not so elegant but a basic tailgate pic from last Saturday. I won't even try to wax poetic!

....except that I'll note that in the pic above is the 16ga Remington Sportsman that my late father carried. He built a rep as a fine wing shot on it and it's the only shotgun I'll ever toss at an upland bird.
NEhomer,
Nice gun and nice dog. ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:21 am

Irish, the greatest return on investment in our beloved sport is in making fond memories! They can't be taxed and no-one can take them from us!
Truer words were never spoken, Irish. Thanks for the pics guys and for spurring those precious memories with kindred mates and dogs.
The more grey hair I get, the more ROI I get from said memories.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:39 am

Funny thing about hunting I discovered about myself. For big game I hate to travel very far from home, it about filling the freezer! I am a shooter, not a hunter really. But hunting birds I've traveled all over the state. It's about enjoying my dog's. Used to take the dog's out during season now and then and leave the shotgun at home and take along the blank gun.

I got a story. Old friend, Jack, and I hunted together every weekend during the season. He brought along another guy he met one time. We got out to where we were going to start from and let out dog's out to run around while we got out the guns and vest. The new guy wanted to know what kind of dog I had, she was pointing at a small clump of grass in a plowed field. He wanted to bet me dinner there was no bird there so I took him up on it. Jack pipe's in and ask's for the same bet and the guy say's sure. Something about my old Hannah, she never ever lied! I went out and popped a couple Huns for her! Great meal for dinner that night and the guy learned not to bet against Hannah. God she's been gone abut 20 yrs and I still miss her!

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:58 am

DonF wrote: โ†‘
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:39 am
Funny thing about hunting I discovered about myself. For big game I hate to travel very far from home, it about filling the freezer! I am a shooter, not a hunter really. But hunting birds I've traveled all over the state. It's about enjoying my dog's. Used to take the dog's out during season now and then and leave the shotgun at home and take along the blank gun.

I got a story. Old friend, Jack, and I hunted together every weekend during the season. He brought along another guy he met one time. We got out to where we were going to start from and let out dog's out to run around while we got out the guns and vest. The new guy wanted to know what kind of dog I had, she was pointing at a small clump of grass in a plowed field. He wanted to bet me dinner there was no bird there so I took him up on it. Jack pipe's in and ask's for the same bet and the guy say's sure. Something about my old Hannah, she never ever lied! I went out and popped a couple Huns for her! Great meal for dinner that night and the guy learned not to bet against Hannah. God she's been gone abut 20 yrs and I still miss her!
Don,
Thanks for sharing ye story. Hannah was a case in illustration for the saying "TRUST THE DOG". ๐Ÿ‘

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 pm

4 days chasing prairie grouse in South Dakota and not a bird. But I had fun just the same. Worn out dogs and tired human legs.

Another chapter in the book of places hunted. 3 weeks and our upland season opens.